Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 5, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
And we are mired in paradox besides

''We'' Are in Deep Doo-Doo

by Elizabeth Emerald


Item 1: Confession to a snafu as newbie editor came back to bite me.

The lead editor was most displeased at my outrageous error and let me know in no uncertain terms.

His wrap up: .... I think "we" are moving a little too quickly without taking the time to really understand what "we" are doing.






Item 2: File this under O, the Irony!

I just submitted a humor piece to an online flash fiction site. The editor said she loves my story and hopes I don't mind that she reworked it -- during the course of which she introduced comma errors of commission and omission. Given that she overtyped my work, I have no record of the original. (Once a piece is submitted, the editor has equal access to it.) I wrote it offsite, but tweaked it here.

It's being published tomorrow, errors intact. 

My stickler editor, Raffaella, would be horrified to know the editor took it upon herself to amend my work. She says it's against the principles of the profession for an editor to fix even a nit-picky mistake.

Thus, I have to add and remove commas per her citations. She instructs me to apply or undo italics. She won't adjust capitalization irregularity in a title; moreover, she makes me look up the rules. (Thankfully, I happened upon an online title capitalization tool.)


As of three days ago, I am now an editor at Raffaella's publication. We editors publish our own work. I am the only person who submits daily; we generally get only one other per day, if that.

Therefore, with me now self-publishing, Raffaella is effectively relieved of duty; I've grabbed all three submissions we received since I was appointed editor.

Raffaella has alluded to moving on, and the co-founder of the publication, who is in poor health, is barely hanging on. I stepped in so the publication doesn't go under.

I really love editing; it's the logistics and the buggy system that have had me on the verge of a breakdown. One step forward; two steps back, it seems. Hopefully, I won't get fired before the others drop out.

 



Recognized

#28
December
2021


When you wish upon the stars by Angelheart on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Angelheart at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.