General Non-Fiction posted October 5, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Work your words or cut them loose

Dysfunctional Marriage

by Elizabeth Emerald


Forgive the misleading title; this piece does not address my failed marriages (welcome news to loyal fans who feel obliged to read my marital lamentsssssss). 

Alert readers may have inferred, per the subtitle, that this piece pertains to the editing process.

Five years ago, I joined a Monday writers' workshop, which comprised eight members of varying levels of proficiency. During the session we would, in turn, read our work aloud.

Len had previously completed his 800-plus-page fictional trilogy about Jim, long presumed dead, who'd been held captive in Vietnam for forty years after the war ended.

Upon his release, Jim is given a one-way ticket to New York city. After a three-day, Fourth-of-July, parade-filled weekend, Jim makes his way by train to Washington, DC, with intent to present himself at the Pentagon. 

The book details Jim's awe at all he observes and experiences as he acclimates to the world that has sped along without him. Some in the class—not me—told Len the prolonged narration of the mundane events of Jim's train ride was tedious.

Len took their point; without hesitation, he took up his pen and slashed the entire passage. 

Then, looking up, addressed the group: 

We writers must remember we're not wedded to our words.

I bear Len's wisdom in mind during the torturous editing process, notwithstanding which I am apt to extend more mercy than is warranted.


 



Recognized

#24
October
2021


Red colored pencil by Sgoolsby on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Sgoolsby at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.