General Non-Fiction posted September 9, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Vaccinations and Virtual Invitations

Wedding Bell Blues

by Elizabeth Emerald


I unknowingly committed a breach of etiquette; I neglected to RSVP to my son's wedding, scheduled for one month from today.

I assumed it was obvious to Dan that I was going to attend; besides, I hadn't yet received an official invitation.

As it turned out, I had received an invitation. I'd been rummaging in the wrong mailbox, the one attached to the pine post in my yard, instead of the one on my laptop.

Not that I would have noticed the invitation amidst a mailbox crammed with spam; it was my other son, Doug, who, on behalf of his brother, gave me the heads up.

I clicked the link and responded to the prompts. Yes, I would attend; No, my (non) guest would not attend. Ditto the rehearsal dinner.

Below the link was another, which requested "contact tracing" information as a contingency measure; if it transpired after the event that a wedding guest had been unknowingly infected with the coronavirus, all in attendance would be notified.

Below name, address, and phone was a checkbox: I have/not been vaccinated. Those who have not are obliged to present proof of a negative Corona test, dated within 72 hours of the wedding.

I have been vaccinated, as has Doug; my daughter has not. Lauren is leery of its unforeseen effects on one with her condition; she has Multiple Sclerosis. After thoughtful consideration, she decided to decline the vaccination.

The most recent weddings we attended were prior to the reign of Corona.

All were preceded by engraved invitations, in calligraphy, on ivory cardstock, with envelopes addressed in impeccable cursive.

I find it disheartening that expediency trumps elegance.








 



Recognized

#36
September
2021


Special Day Bouquet by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.