General Non-Fiction posted April 24, 2021 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Animal Crackers Club

A chapter in the book Cat Tales

What's In a Name?

by damommy




There are several cats here now, and over time, there have been many.  So it’s hard to pick one name out of the bunch.  I’ll share a short piece about a few.
 
We all know PC thinks it stands for Perfect Cat, but the truth is he was named for the little diner where I found him, Pig ‘N Chik.  He doesn’t know it, but I almost named him Pig.
 
Then there’s Endeavour.  I enjoyed the British TV series, Inspector Morse so much.  He would never tell his first name, but as time went on, we learned it was Endeavour, after Captain Cook’s ship.  His father was a big fan.  When I found my Endeavour, the name just popped in my head.
 
Next, the sisters, Bib and Tucker, which no one understands why I named them that.  It used to be said when someone was dressing up, they were putting on their best bib and tucker.  Bib, obviously, had a white bib on her chest, and it fell to reason to name her sister Tucker.
 
Then there was Mazy, whose colors were a maze. 
 
Dilly, because she’s such a little dilly of a cat. 
 
Dudette, the boys had named her Little Dude until we discovered she was a dude-ette. 
 
Dart, because he runs like he’s shot out of a cannon. Should have named him Cannonball.
 
Oh, and I can’t forget DOC.  It stood for Definitely Outside Cat.  After he was let in, my son said he should be re-named NIC, Now Inside Cat.
 
I took my mother’s cats, brother and sister, when she passed away.  My stepfather’s name was Amos, so she named the boy Amos.  It just followed to name the girl Andi, after the old TV show, Amos and Andy.
 
Over the years, there have been many, and I’ve tried to name them according to some trait.  I’ll end with the three brothers, Winkin’, Blinkin’, and Nod.  Somehow, Winkin’ got changed to Rags.
 
As Porky would say, “Th-th-that’s it, folks!”  (For now).
 



 



Recognized


Animals Crackers Club challenge, why did you choose your pet's name?

Club entry for the "Names" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.