Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 23, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Stalwart, spry, and full of life

Kathy's Story

by Jesse James Doty


Walking from the Rescue Mission, where they house those without a home, in the cold and wintry early morning hours, Kathy came prepared to work. Without setting up a certain time to meet, she knew I needed a caregiver right away, and took the chance, by showing up at my doorstep, at the required time of 8 am sharp.

Kathy entered my apartment and, after getting my permission, immediately began to clean and make breakfast for me. She told me that at the present time, I would be her number one priority.

From that moment on, she worked all day that day and went home to the Mission where she continued to live until she met my landlord. He waived the deposit for the extra room in my place, as well as the first and last month's rent. Instead, she was to pay weekly, and he offered to front the first week in exchange for her promise that she would pay him back when she got her first paycheck. She fulfilled her promise after receiving her paycheck.

Meanwhile, she moved in, immediately, and brought her fiance, whose name was Arnold. His leg was broken, which made it difficult to climb the stairs at the Mission.
They moved into the main bedroom and made themselves scarce when I was writing at my desk or taking a nap in my bedroom. Accommodating, as best as they could, they made allowance for my unusual hours and habits, and we coexisted until it was clear that they needed their space, as I needed mine.

I spent long hours on Craig's List looking for the right affordable apartment for Kathy and Arnold. I finally found the right place and found a service for those in need that paid for their first, last, and deposit so that they could move in. In what seemed like no time at all, they moved out, and we went our separate ways.

After securing an apartment, applying for food stamps, and saving enough money to put a down payment for a preowned car, Kathy and her fiance were well on their way, successfully getting off the train wreck heading for chronic homelessness. Through determination and hope, Kathy beat the odds, winning new freedoms, and never forgetting what it was like to be homeless.

A year later, I saw Arnold at the Bay where I hang out. He greeted me fondly and appeared much happier now. His leg had healed, and he was working full time as a Crabber. We hugged, and he told me that Kathy was still working as a caregiver and that they were doing fine.




Recognized

#14
April
2021


This is about Kathy and how she impacted my life with/by her rising to leave homelessness behind. I was and am proud to know her and am glad that she is a role model for all to see.
Thank you for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jesse James Doty All rights reserved.
Jesse James Doty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.