Biographical Flash Fiction posted February 2, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
There but for the Grace of Ice ...

Unpleasant Thought Experiment

by Elizabeth Emerald


Last night I was keeping my daughter company in her room, attempting to distract her. On account of an exacerbation of Multiple Sclerosis, she'd been undergoing a course of steroid infusions, the consequence of which is a paradoxical combination of lethargic depression and manic anger, aka '"roid rage" (rife in the steroid-ed population of competitive bodybuilders).  

On Lauren's bed was a CD her friend had left; I glanced at the case. Pictured was a man who looked anguished, his arms enveloping a teenage girl with eyes bugged out and mouth contorted by terror.

I read the blurb. Plot summary: girl confesses (to her parents) that she'd killed her "best friend" in a fit of rage; parents proceed to "protect" her.

Title: The Lie. 

No brainer: If my daughter had done so I'd have marched her to the nearest precinct.

This afternoon, having returned from her fifth and final treatment, Lauren stalked in the house hurling F-bombs. A driver had been on her tail, leaning on his horn as she slowed to take an exit.

Lauren said that as she flipped him off, she fantasized about confronting him with a tire iron. But for the ice-slicked road, she'd have jumped out of her car, smashed his windshield, and demolished his head.

No brainer: If my daughter had done so, I'd have marched her to the nearest lawyer. 

 



Recognized


Helza Blaze by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.