Humor Flash Fiction posted January 9, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The devil's in the details

Top Ten in a FLASH

by Elizabeth Emerald

When I was 45, I ran races with my then-husband, "Dick" (not his real name but should have been).

The top racers in my division paced sub-seven-minute miles. My goal (unachieved) was an eight-and-a-half-minute mile.


Above all, I yearned to make the top ten.

The 40s division comprised dozens; I'd place mid-range. Given that there was no fudge factory in the vicinity of the race course, I couldn't tempt the numbers to give me a boost.

Until that magical day: September 9, 2003. When, after having scanned the posted race results, Dick bounded gleefully to my side and shouted:

Congratulations. You finally made top ten. You came in ninth place!

I rushed to see for myself. There was my name. Ninth of ... nine. With a finish time of two minutes and (not-so-small) change behind number eight's.

Crestfallen, I made my way back to Dick.

I'll never forget his smirk, inspired by the success of his prank.

I was inspired as well; it was in that very instant that I dubbed him "Dick."


 

 



Recognized


Running Man by Bob one oldreb on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

FLASHing solo (sans contest) at 175 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.