Humor Fiction posted January 6, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Things don't always go as planned.

Good Deed Gone Bad

by Lance S. Loria

A Good Turn Gone Wrong Contest Winner 

The world is all hustle and bustle. No time to help others. Liability curtails good Samaritans. I believe we can do better. Good deeds can trigger a chain reaction. I'll be that trigger today to make the world a better place. Wait and see.

There's has to be someone in need of a helping hand. It's a beautiful day and I've decided to stretch my lunch break to walk downtown in search of someone to help.

Perhaps it will be as simple as someone in need of directions. I could accompany the person all or part of the way. That would be nice.

Maybe someone needs advice on where to eat. I know restaurants and can provide recommendations.

I emerge from my building and approach the corner. I immediately notice an elderly woman carrying a large purse, umbrella and briefcase. She seems to be juggling these items with difficulty. The light was green in the cross walk and she missed crossing the street. I decide to wait and see if she can manage her belongings and cross during the next green light.

The cross walk light turns green but she doesn't move. She seems afraid, as if she might get caught up in the crowd and then midway across the street drop her belongings. It's time to come to her rescue.

"Allow me to help you." I take hold of her arm and briefcase.

"What are you doing? That's my briefcase!"

The poor woman is clearly confused.

I walk her across, as she attempts to pull away, but I prevail and get her to the other side.

"Now you can continue on your way."

"Are you crazy? I just missed my bus!"


Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300

A Good Turn Gone Wrong
Contest Winner

Recognized

#32
January
2021


No good deed goes unpunished. It is a sad truth.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lance S. Loria All rights reserved.
Lance S. Loria has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.