General Fiction posted May 18, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Wait your turn, you will get your say.

Who Dares Argue With Me?

by Claire Tennant


Susan always had a business-as-usual attitude. It reflected well in her dream of owning a sweet shop with allied lines: coffee beans either straight in the bag or ground, cakes and sandwiches, a multitude of sweetmeats, and Scottish delicacies. Her darling did as he was told. Her daughter was too frightened of life to do anything else but watch and learn in the shadows. All went well most days unless the invasion arrived, the invasion being representatives of the Health Department.

Where the Health Department was concerned, Susan complied with the rules. The problem was that because the shop was in a new complex with air-conditioned comfort and almost spotless surroundings, it was visited more frequently than necessary. This was because the Health Department was within walking distance of the centre and deemed a great place to fill the stats in inclement weather. Among the food shops was the horror that an unannounced ‘someone’ would appear from nowhere, examine all and sundry, and use the businesses for convenience. One inspector even had the audacity to come in wearing white gloves (and his clothes) and run his finger against the shelves, checking for dust.  Susan was also a fastidious housewife. It took a lot to irk her, but there were limits.

On this day, Mr “Hand In Glove” came in the door to be met with a Scottish look of disdain and a very strong accent.

“Just a minute,” Susan said, with the usual finger-pointing if she were stressed.

“Before you do anything, are you going to tell me what is wrong with my shop, given that you are here every six weeks and visit the other food stores in between?”

“It is only a regular inspection, Mrs Todd. There is no need to get upset.”

“I’m not upset, Sir.”

“Then why the attitude?”

Let me answer your question by asking another. What about the sweet shop and café round the corner? Does she get visited as often as we do in this centre?”

“Yes, of course. We would be in trouble if we did not. We have the people of the city to look after.”

“So, you must have plenty of white gloves, given you visit that place, which gossip and an eye for detail says has vermin everywhere you look.”

There was no reply but a stunned mullet look on the inspector’s face.

“Might I suggest you visit there and tell Typhoid Mary’s relative to clean up before you visit my shop again? Otherwise, I will be forced to take it up with my solicitor!”

Mr ‘Hand In Glove’ did not know where to look. He decided to leave just as the other shopkeepers close by applauded Susan enthusiastically.

“Good on you, Susan.” the greengrocer yelled.

Susan smiled. After all, it was just another working day, and a battle almost won.




Best Served Cold writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction tale of REVENGE. Maximum 800 words. This can be in any genre and can range from a light-hearted prank to a murderous act of vengeance. Clever twists and irony encouraged.


Loosely based on a true story
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by nikman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.