General Fiction posted May 13, 2024 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sides are drawn

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 19

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 18

Madeline turned to Esther, suddenly relieved that she might have found an understanding friend, unaware that Esther had her own motives. "Do you know about —"

Lorrie's voice yelled from the back porch, "Madeline, where are you? Come and have some tea. We'll work things out."

Esther stood, her eyes darting toward the mansion. "I need to go. Let's have this as our little secret, okay?" Esther moved toward the carriage house, stopping again to reach out to Madeline. "It's going to be okay. I promise to help you." With that, Esther disappeared.

Entering the rose garden, Lorrie stopped, scanned the area, and rushed to Madeline's side. "You poor girl, Benny should never have treated you so badly. Are you okay?"

Madeline nodded, thinking about Esther and if she should tell Lorrie. She'd been so kind to her, something Madeline didn't feel most of the time. Lorrie stood, still looking around the garden and toward the carriage house.

"Strange, the roses have a different scent tonight, almost a musky aroma." Spying a lace handkerchief under the bench, Lorrie asked, "Were you in the garden alone?"

Madeline turned her teary eyes toward the housekeeper, remembering Esther's request, and answered, "Of course, I was alone."




*****
CHAPTER 19

Flickering candles created a romantic mood in the study. William sought comfort and relaxation on the loveseat near the glowing fire. His pensive mood replayed his earlier heated argument with Victoria, creating a battle between inner romance and tension. The exterior walls crackled like electricity, sparking against the icy chill omitted from murmuring voices lurking behind the walls.

A sense of foreboding for the future nagged at him. His energy was depleted from the confrontation. He rubbed his temples, trying to ease the strain that weighed on him. Interacting within the mortals' world had consequences, something he had failed to remember.

Still, he smiled as he felt her warmth before she glided into the room, her beauty and presence commanding attention. Her body seemed to glow, not a harsh light, but a soft, inviting one. She'd changed from her everyday attire into a dress that highlighted her curves. The sparkling glint in her eye was provocative. Without a word, she approached William; her movements were a calculated dance. She meant to entice him and remind him of their love.

"William, darling," she purred, her voice laced with seduction. "Let's not fuss about our little disagreement, shall we? We have more pleasant matters to attend to." She smiled and bent to kiss him.

Her touch was soft yet persuasive as she caressed his arm, her gaze filled with promise. William felt a tug at his heart, a familiar longing stirred by Victoria's charms. Memories, flashes of their youth, heightened his emotions. There was a time when he wanted nothing more than to lie in her arms, ravishing her body and dreaming of their future.

Her tempting suggestion hung in the air, drawing William towards her and weakening his resolve. He struggled to push aside the lingering thoughts of their argument, the weight of his exhaustion battling against Victoria's persuasive tactics. He'd always been powerless to her charms, and tonight was no exception.

She poured two glasses of champagne and set them on the side table before nestling her slender body close to his, knowing her favorite cologne would tease his senses. "Relax, my love, you know you can't resist me." She pressed her body closer, teasing him with the possibilities.

"You have always known the secrets of controlling my heartstrings, my love." William gazed into her eyes, choosing his words wisely. "I've not had any complaints in that department."

William trailed his finger across her breast, torn between his desires and the problem at hand. Victoria smiled, assuming she had the upper hand, but his next words chilled her as if he'd tossed ice water in her face. Sighing, he spoke, "Our current situation and future hang in the balance. We can't jeopardize our freedom."

Her eyes narrowed as she gazed at William, silently daring him to continue. Part of her knew he was right, but a more significant part of her wanted more. The mansion had been their sanctuary but also their prison.

She sipped her champagne, letting the bubbles tickle her mouth, as she sized up William. He was different tonight, not succumbing to her ways.

Replacing her glass on the table, her fingers brushed against his hand. He flinched but didn't pull away. His reaction pushed her to say more. "Do you call this freedom? We might not live in chains, but we're confined inside these walls." She changed her tone to a pouty, pleading one. "What happened to caring about us and the life we once shared?"

He sighed, weary of this battle. His eyes flickered around the room as if searching for an answer. "We can have everything, Victoria, but not by coveting the stolen treasure for ourselves."

Victoria scoffed, feeling a burning anger welling up inside her. "How dare you accuse me after all these years! You were the criminal, William." The idea of romancing William to get her way vanished as she spat the final words, "Your crimes sealed our fate."

Anger flashed in William's eyes as he struggled to soften his tone. "That was a different life, Victoria. This mansion, these endless corridors, are not our home. The treasure can be salvation for most souls dwelling within this home. Greed can't achieve that."

Her voice trembled with a mix of longing and defiance. "Greed? You are the one being selfish. Giving the treasure away gives everyone redemption, but where does that leave us? A life where we are penniless and commonplace. Shall we beg for scraps?"

His eyes soften, reflecting on his vision of the future, an eternal life in the hereafter, a place filled with unimaginable beauty and love. "Wealth and power have no place in eternity. We will be free of our past sins. Isn't that what we have dreamt of?"

Victoria stood and walked away with her back to William. She laughed, unable to hide her bitterness. "Dreamt of? We aren't dreamers, William." Her voice rose, and she snarled, "We are survivors. We fight for what we want, and we get it."

William's eyes filled with sadness as he recognized Victoria's change. He feared their love was lost. "We can be more than survivors, Victoria. The returning of the treasure will bring us redemption."

Her gaze hardened as she stared at William. "Redemption! Do you honestly believe that it will fill the void? One must have power to do that."

"Victoria, my love, listen to yourself. You've changed from the woman I loved into what I once was. Let it go before it consumes you."

"Let it consume me!" Her eyes flashed with determination. "I want what's rightfully mine, even if I must fight you for it."

Surprised, William stood and walked toward Victoria, his arms outstretched. She backed away, and he let his arms fall to his side. His voice quivered, fearing what Victoria wanted. "Claiming the treasure will seal our fate forever."

Her laughter was cold, devoid of remorse. "Fate? I have made my own fate my entire life. I saw how Esther loved you, but she had no desire to climb the ladder of wealth and power. I knew you had the ability and could give me what I desired. Of course, your debonair charm swept me off my feet, and I fell in love with you, but my eye was always set on rising above the menial neighbors."

William turned away, unable to gaze into Victoria's dark eyes. Overwhelmed by her declaration, he stammered, "Your love — was a facade — masking your desire for wealth and power." He swallowed hard, forcing his last words to cross his lips. "I meant nothing?"

Softening her tone, she smiled and whispered, "No, of course not, William, but you've lost sight of our future."

His words were desperate, pleading for her to understand. "Your future — our future — lies in redemption."

Victoria moved toward the desk where William had laid the key. He'd underestimated her determination. "We've waited too long for this moment." Her hand reached out and brushed against his face. "You once had a fiery blaze burning in your body and mind, seeking the best of everything, regardless of who or what you trampled beneath you."

"Those days are gone. It cost Billy mortality and even his chance at eternal life. I can't turn my back on him — or the others — simply for this pursuit of yours." He pleaded, praying he could make her see. "It would bring us peace. Let Billy find the treasure and, hopefully, our salvation."

Victoria snarled, "We've searched every corner of this mansion, even deep into the bowels." Victoria chuckled, making a bitter sound. "The mortal, Sandra, traipsed into their den and handed them the book. How long before they discover the clues and find the treasure themselves? Then, we will all be damned."

William's state of weakness was taking its toll. He couldn't continue this battle with Victoria. His voice resonated with sadness. "Your way will cost us our souls."

Victoria shook her head, her voice trembling with disgust. "Who are we? We're empty spirits, William! Shadows of our former selves. The key and the treasure are our only chance to reclaim what is rightfully ours."

William sighed, his breathing growing ragged. Making his decision, he reached for the key. "I won't let you sacrifice everyone for your dream, not even if it means our eternal damnation. I'm giving the key to Billy."

Victoria's gaze hardened. "Then you leave me no choice." Her fingers clasped the heavy candlestick holder, and she swung it with all the force she could muster, bringing it down against William's head. An eerie swooshing sound, reminiscent of hundreds of bats taking flight, filled the room as his figure crumbled to the floor, disappearing in an icy mist.



Recognized


Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker
Benny Gonzales - The Hitman
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Tim - The Familiar Stranger
Kitty, Maggie, Frank, Teresa - ghosts from Madeline's past
The sheriff - An evil man given one last chance to change his ways
Victoria - the ghostly FORMER mistress in the 1800s
Esther - a female ghost from the 1800s, hoping to reclaim what's rightfully hers
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.