FanStory.com - Enchanted Hikeby HarryT
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Watch where you are going when on a hike.
Enchanted Hike by HarryT
    FlashFantasy2020 Contest Winner 

Artwork by Greg Pichnej at FanArtReview.com

I love to walk in the forest after a rain when the sun peeps from behind silver-lined clouds. The fresh, damp and almost sweet aroma emanating from the just sprinkled foliage envelopes my senses.

Walking among the billows of mist, I lose myself in the forest fragrances. Suddenly, I stop. “What is that,” I say to myself. Through the misty curtain I see something completely out of place. It’s a chair. No wait, I move closer, it’s large and fancy. I trudge deeper into the woods; my shoes and pants dampen as I muck through the wet foliage. “My gosh,” I say to myself, “it is a great wooden chair, beautifully carved with a velvety red cushion. It’s looks like a throne!” I blink my eyes and shake my head. “Could it be real?”

“Wait!” I move closer, “there’s a king’s scepter laid upon the royal chair. Beyond, in a sun-washed clearing is a large round table with thirteen chairs. Could I have entered the Kingdom of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere?

I turn my ear to echoing hoof beats. I cannot believe my eyes, riding toward me is a knight on horseback. His horse is a beautiful white steed, he sits astride the saddle in a proud and noble manner, carrying a shield with a golden French fleur-de-lis displayed on a field of blue. He pulls the reins, halting his horse, lifts his face shield and says, “My name is Lancelot. You look like a sturdy fellow, come along with me. I’m to join the King Arthur’s knights.” He offers his gloved hand and hoists me on to his horse and we gallop toward the clearing. Suddenly, the horse whinnies, Lancelot cries, “A snake, hold tight. The horse rises on his hind legs, I tip back, lose my grip, fall off and find myself sprawled on the wet ground. I shake my head, and glance about, to my surprise, I’m lying on the forest trail on which I began my hike. On the trail next to me is large tree branch. I surmise I must have tripped over it and knocked myself out. However, I must admit it was an exciting trip to Camelot.

 


Writing Prompt
Write a short Fantasy story set in the forest. Be sure to include a chair as an object in your fiction. Entries can be anywhere from 200-1000 words.
FlashFantasy2020
Contest Winner

     

© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement