FanStory.com - The Boulder!by Commando
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A large rock fragment falls on Bret and Angel!
An Angel in the Meadow
: The Boulder! by Commando

 


Greetings, Friends!
 
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Our wish is to make you laugh and cry, then leave you in a state of uncertainty as to what will happen next. We invite you to follow along and shall appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvement. As always, thank you for reading and best wishes wherever you are. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill. 
 
 
 
Previously . . .

"Oh, no! I'm not believin' this, Bret. Did you see that? It looked strange. Could it be an illusion? It appears that the entrance to the cave has been sealed off by fallen rocks, and we're trapped inside. What are we gonna do, Honey?"

"Well, Angel! For a start, we can buy Jesus another bottle of wine on our way up."

*******
Special Note!
 
Some words are written in a way that is appropriate for mountain folks; yet, are not always grammatically correct. Characters, at times, will reflect earlier scenes in their lives. They shall, as well, actually talk with the readers. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of "fully justified formatting."

~Chapter 5~

"Will you stop jokin' at a time like this, Bret! We could die here. I can hardly breathe. Oh my God! Don't you remember I'm claustrophobic?" Angel began hyperventilating, got dizzy, and almost fell down. Bret quickly grabbed hold of her.
 
"Get a grip on yourself, Sweetheart. I may not have much else but lovin' on my mind all the time, but I sure do know how to dig us outta here. Don't you fear, Beautiful. It's gonna be alright, and soon enough, we'll see the daylight again."

Bret got down on his hands and knees and started moving some of the rocks that had fallen. Finally regaining her composure, Cathy knelt down next to him to help. She reached to move a big rock, but it wouldn't budge. Bending over a little more, her skirt lifted up showin' her pink panties. Brett yelled, "Wow!" Of course the rest you'll find in the history book!

"Angel! Why don't we hunker down here, spend the night together, then tomorrow we can go home and tell everyone it took all night to dig our way out. Sounds like a good plan, huh?"

"Of course however, what do you expect us to do while we're spending the night together?"

"Awww everyone is allowed to ask a silly question every now and then, Beautiful!"

 
*******
"Brrr! It's getting cold in here, Angel. I'm gonna make a fire over there outta someone's busted picnic basket and the twigs that blew in before the rockslide. In my pack, I have a pint of Grandpa's moonshine whiskey that I can use as fuel and a book of matches to light it. So, c'mon, Baby . . . let's snuggle up on the blanket, then become a hunk of burning love!"

"Honey, let's take it slow. We got all night. Why, your hands are all over me. Whattaya think? I'm gonna change my mind and leave? I can't go anywhere, remember? Besides, you ain't holdin' me against my will. As a matter of fact, this is quite a thrill . . . spending the night with my beautiful mountain man!"

*******
"Bret! Are you asleep? I thought I heard a growl; yet, maybe I was dreamin'! I don't want to give in to an imaginary fear, but suddenly I'm shakin'!"
 
"Sheee! It was a growl, Angel. I heard it, too!"

"Oh, Dear Lord! Did it occur to you that by makin' this grand plan of our sleeping here tonight that someone or something might live here?"

"Don't move, Angel! The growl is coming closer; yet, it's so dark, I can't see what's making it. Now, get behind me quick! If it attacks, I'll protect you as best I can with my hunting knife."

"Sweet Jesus! I can see it now, it's a grizzly bear, Bret . . . and there's a baby, too! What are we gonna do? You can't kill that baby's mama!"

"Okay! Then what do you propose I do?"

"Maybe we can gather around the fire, stoke it up, and the flames will frighten Mama. Of course, we can ask God to send down help for us, as well."

 
"Just in case He's asleep, you crawl into that crevice in the wall. I want you to quickly wedge yourself in it as far as you can go. Then, there'll be no way the bear can harm you. Knowing you're okay, I'll do my best to get the mama bear to leave us alone, but if that doesn't work, then I gotta protect us."
 
"Please be careful, Honey! I can't live without you!"

"Well, if the grizzly gets me, just remember how much I love you. Nothing will ever separate us. If I must die, know that my spirit will always be with you."

"Watch out, Bret! She's chargin' you!"

 
Without any time to react, the bear attacked. Its long claws dug deep into my shoulder as I began stabbing the grizzly's throat with my hunting knife. Despair overtook me and I curled up in a ball. I felt helpless as the bear continued to claw at me, bouncing me around the cave like a rubber ball. Finally, appearing weak from the loss of blood, Mama Bear retreated. She slowly walked away with the baby following close behind. They went deep into the cave and outta sight as someone turned out my light.
********
"Oh my God! Bret's dead," Angel screamed. She got out of the crevice, then ran to his side. Cradling him, she broke down and cried. "Why, Lord, why? You brought me down to take care of Bret; yet, I didn't. None of this would have happened if I hadn't bent over too far and showed off my pink panties."
 
The earth began to tremble. Big hunks of rock were falling all around as the cave walls came crumbling down. Although Bret had protected me from the bear, it seemed that I wasn't gonna make it outta here alive. Bret began to move his head in my lap, then it appeared he was talking to someone.
*******
"Grandpa! Why is the angel on our Christmas tree cryin'? Do ya think it's 'cause of Baby Jesus dying?"
 
"Of course, it is, Bret; yet, she's cryin' happy tears . . . and not sad ones!"

"Awww, Grandpa! I ain't ever heard of happy tears."

 
"Well, our Angel is cryin,' 'cause she watched the crucifixion of Jesus that taught us His death provided the perfect atoning sacrifice for the sins of all humankind. She heard a voice sayin', 'Don't be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, and He's not here; He has risen!' His Spirit didn't die, and every year she shares this joy on his birthday which is Christmas Day."
 
"How do we know Jesus' Spirit is alive still, Grandpa?"
 
"Good question, Bret. Jesus is the Light of the World. That's why our Angel is a glowin' and cryin' happy tears. Look around you. When something reaches your heart, like baby deer feedin' near, or them little rabbits scampering all about, you'll feel loved. Love comes from above, and it's Jesus' spirit 'cause that's what He's made of."
*******
All of a sudden, Bret opened his eyes, looked up at me, then said, "Angel, I ain't dead yet, but if I do die, don't you worry 'cause Grandpa told me I'd be with Jesus someday, and I'll join His spirit when He walks through the meadow. Watch for me and you'll see that there's no way you and I shall ever part."
 
"Bret, don't you dare die on me!" At that moment, a large boulder came crashing down on the both of us.
~~~~~~~
Ouch! Sorry for leavin' y'all hangin'! Hope you enjoyed and will join
us in chapter 6. Best wishes and God Bless.
Respectfully with Admiration,
Cathy and Bill

Recognized

Author Notes
A "SALUTE" to Cathy for the "Prestigious artwork and book cover." It is an honor to co-author this novel with her. She is an "Awesome writer," and I thank God for sending her to me. Thanks for following along as we write this "Special Love Story." We encourage your thoughts, comments, and suggestions for improvements.

     

© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement