FanStory.com - When The Narrative Must Remainby Y. M. Roger
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Would you be in the crowd or on the tracks...
When The Narrative Must Remain by Y. M. Roger
Short Story(150 words) writing prompt entry

John pushed through the crowd as he heard the train approaching.
 
“Stop!” he shouted desperately.
 
The people stood, unmoving – their immunity collars blinking green. The sight of so many collars at this horrible event stoked his anger further.
 
“Arrrrggh!” he growled, falling forward as he broke through the crowd. Righting himself, John waved a paper at the platform across the tracks. “Your Honor! Please!”
 
John looked down at the group on the tracks, each of them collarless, defiant to this end. Presented the choice of self-collaring or death, their choice was made. One woman looked up, fire in her eyes: I live and die on my terms.
 
Two men man-handled John.
 
“Step back, sir.”
 
The approaching train whistled.
 
“Proof, Your Honor! I have proof collars aren’t necessary!”
 
President Smith nodded at the men. John was thrown into the group below as the train thundered by.
 
The collars would remain 'necessary'.


Writing Prompt
Write a short story (150 words - title not included in word count) beginning with the sentence 'John pushed through the crowd as he heard the train approaching.'

Author Notes
Image of 'Crazy Train' from Google Images.

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement