FanStory.com - Unresolvedby Elizabeth Emerald
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't make 'em; can't break 'em
Unresolved by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Back in the pre-mega-mall era, every end-of-summer--our feet having grown half an inch and our height half a foot in the interim--my mother would take my sister and me to the "Shopping Center." We'd super-size our shoes at Thom McAn and down-size our hem lines at Gimbels. My mother--inching ever sideways rather than upward or feet-wise--shopped at Lane Bryant, where she could feel slender next to the "plusser--sized" ladies.

I well remember my mother's warning whenever we'd pass through the crockery section in the housewares aisle at Gimbels: Don't touch anything. She'd point to the ominous red-lettered sign: You break it, you buy it.

Every year of the 50-something since that first instance of intimidation, I'm reminded of this sign--albeit not at the end of August, but at the start of January. I vividly envision its scarlet-lettered decree, with a twist to make it pertinent to New Year's resolutions: You make it, you break it.

Just as I avoided "bullishness" back in the china shop days, these years I avoid bullishness in its sense of having the hubris to declare grand resolutions that I will clearly keep only for part of the day I declare them.

There is but one resolution I ever made that I've managed to keep, and that is: I resolve to make no others. A hard one to break--indeed, it's entirely fool-proof.

So, stay--or get--smart. Take a tip from this fool and make this item the number one--of one--on your own resolutions list. Guaranteed: you'll have a happier--or at least, a less "promising"--New Year.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thanks to MoonWillow for artwork: Another year Older

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement