FanStory.com - Picture Dayby Henry King
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Explaining why mom wasn't told.
Picture Day by Henry King
Elementary School Memoirs contest entry

"Mom today is school picture day."

"Why are you telling me today? Why didn't your teacher send a note?"

"She did. Here it is."

"It's all wadded up. How long have you had this?"

"Since Friday. I forgot, you and Dad were in a hurry, getting ready to go someplace."

"Put on a clean T-shirt and don't get it dirty before the pictures are taken."

"What are we having for breakfast?"

"Shredded Wheat and bananas."

"Can I have something else?"

"No. Why?"

"I've been getting teased because I stink up the classroom. I try to keep it quiet, but I can't help it if it gets loud."

"I thought you were over that. They don't sell goat's milk at the store. I will scramble some eggs. You can toast two slices of bread."

"Why can't we have a toaster like Grandma Rosie's? It's faster."

"Her toaster is older than you are, and it toasts one side at a time. You can make more toast in the oven. After one side turns brown, turn it over to toast the other side.

Do you know what studio is taking the pictures?"

"I saw Uncle Kazin in the Principal's office last week."

"I'll call him later today and ask if he has the contract. His studio has been awarded the picture contract since I was in high school. If so, I'll get you dressed up Saturday and go to his studio. If I don't like the picture he took, I'll take one and replace it."

"Mom I see our Cousins Linda and Nina almost everyday in school and Uncle Kazin about once a month. When he takes the school pictures; I tell him, 'Hello Uncle Kazin,' he acts like he doesn't know me."

"Don't worry about it. When I was working for him and took pictures at school, I sometimes didn't recognize my cousins. I was busy adjusting the camera settings. The students are just a blur as they stream by."

"I've got to hurry to catch the streetcar."

"Brush your teeth and take a comb with you."

"Augh Mom."

"Just do it, no back talk. Do you have your lunch ticket? Remember to comb your hair."

"Bye Mom."

Recognized

Author Notes
That tale is a memory from my 4th Grade, seventy plus years ago. My hair wasn't combed. I was never concerned about school pictures. My sisters' concerns about dress and appearance was nothing short of the highest drama shown at the opera.

     

© Copyright 2024. Henry King All rights reserved.
Henry King has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement