FanStory.com - Moms Oatmeal Pie-It's The Best!by Y. M. Roger
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An unusual yet wonderful dessert...
Moms Oatmeal Pie-It's The Best! by Y. M. Roger
A Suite for the Sweets [5-7-5 trio] writing prompt entry


Oatmeal raisin dough:
makes a scrumptious cookie crust…
baked to golden crunch
 
Fill with heav’nly mix:
oatmeal, sugar, eggs and spice…
made just before lunch
 
Warm slice begs for cold:
ice cream scoop now melts on top…
perfect pie to munch!

 


Writing Prompt
Write a poem consisting of THREE 5-7-5 stanzas that focuses on your favorite sweet dessert (see 'catch' below)! And yes, it's okay to have more than one in there like cake and ice cream OR cookies and milk... be creative if you want!!

The ONLY catch is that the LAST line of each stanza must all rhyme (the rest are optional) such that your rhyme scheme for the poem would be ??C ??C ??C. Remember, the question mark lines do not have to rhyme -- only lines 3,6,& 9 are required to rhyme -- but it's okay if you choose to make other rhymes within your poem. :) :)

Each stanza should be of the standard 5-7-5 format:

first line (5 syllables)
second line (7 syllables)
third line (5 syllables)

So, make this a SWEET SUITE... and impress us! Make us hungry! Make our mouths water! Just make us want to vote for yours! :) :)

Author Notes
MOM'S OATMEAL PIE

Crust Instructions:
Make up your favorite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe (you can use store-bought dough if in a hurry). Butter the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Using your fingers (you can butter them to if the dough is too sticky to work with!), press cookie dough into pan bottom and up around the sides and edge to about �?�¼ inch thickness.* Bake according to dough recipe until done (takes just about the same amount of time as the cookies would). Set aside for pie filling.
*Reserve remaining dough to make cookies later!

Filling Ingredients
4 large eggs beaten
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter softened
2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 baked oatmeal cookie dough crust (can be made days ahead of time)
Vanilla ice cream (for topping

Filling Instructions
In a medium bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients and mix well.
Pour into baked cookie crust shell. (pour any extra into small, greased pyrex dish and bake at same time)
Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until the pie is cooked through (I look for the center to no longer jiggle!).

Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream with just a drizzle of maple syrup on top. Yummmm!

[Special Note: This pie is great in the 'fridge and just 'nuked' in the microwave one slice at a time for a dessert anytime!]

Image of 'Amish Oatmeal Pie' from Google Images.

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement