FanStory.com - Real Threatby Thesis
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Twelve Years of Fear
Real Threat by Thesis
She didn't lock her door writing prompt entry

She didn't lock her door, even though she just received a call from Detective Brennan that her former boyfriend, Jimmy Callahan, had just been released from prison. She walked calmly into her eleven and a half year old daughter's room as tears filled her eyes and streamed down her cheeks.

Amy's concern was no longer for herself; it was to protect her daughter, Morgan, whom Jimmy never knew about. When she testified against him, she was six months pregnant, but didn't dare tell him because of his violent temper.

Although she planned for this day for the last twelve years, now that it was here, she couldn't focus. She stood looking at her daughter soundly sleeping, knowing her life was about to change forever. She became angry that the life she and her daughter had was being threatened, and knew her former boyfriend would try to kill her once he was let out, so she called the only people in the world that would help her unconditionally.

"Dad, Jimmy was let out today."

"I'll be there in an hour, Amy. Your mother and I have been dreading this call for the last twelve years, but we have also planned for it. Everything is going to be okay Amy. I'm bringing the Suburban, so pack whatever you need. You can't go back there once we leave."

"I know, Dad. I'll be ready. Is Mom coming too?"

"No, she has to get things ready on our end. We've prepared for this too. We're all moving away from here. We'll talk more in the car. You better get busy. I'll be there soon."

"Thanks Dad."

"Everything is going to be okay Amy. See you soon."

Amy switched into Mom mode.

"Morgan, honey, you have to wake up. Grandpa is on his way over to pick us up."

"What? Why is Grandpa coming?"

"I can't explain it all now, but I need you to get up right away and get dressed. We're going away for a while, so pack your favorite things."

"What's going on? I don't have to go to school today?"

"Not today, Morgan. It's very complicated, but right now I need you to do what I ask you to do. You'll understand soon."

"This is weird, Mom."

"I'm sorry Morgan. I don't have time to discuss this right now. Grandpa will be here in an hour and we need to be ready."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Thanks, Morgan. I need you to help me get the duffle bags from the closet. Fill them up with the things you want to take with you."

"How long are we going to be gone, so I know what to take?"

"Take the things you can't live without."

"Mom, are we ever coming back here?"

"Eventually, but we may be gone for a long time."

"Mom, I'm scared. What are we running away from? What's happening?"

"Please trust me, Morgan. Grandpa is coming to take us away from here because we are in danger. I can't tell you more than that until we're with him. I promise I will tell you everything then. Truthfully, Morgan, we may never be able to come back here. So, please start packing. Will you do that for me?"

As a response, Morgan hugged her mom.

Morgan wasted no time packing the duffle bags with her belongings. Amy packed some clothes and all of her photos of Morgan she had taken over the years, leaving everything else.

The sound of the Suburban's diesel engine notified them that Grandpa arrived. Morgan ran out to greet him, hugging him more tightly than she normally did.

"Hi Kiddo, I'll bet you're pretty confused by all this commotion today."

"Grandpa, what's going on? Mom hasn't told me much, but she said she would when you got here."

"There is a lot you don't know, Morgan, but as soon as we get all this loaded into the car, your mom will tell you everything. I just want you to know that the reason you're leaving is not because of anything she's done. She's always kept you safe and she loves you more than anything in the world."

"Thanks, Grandpa."

Reassured by a hug from Grandpa, Morgan began loading the Suburban, while Amy came outside with a suitcase.

"Hi Dad."

"How are you holding up, Amy?"

"I just feel we have to get out of here fast."

"We should be on the road in about fifteen minutes. You don't have much stuff."

After the last of their possessions were loaded, they headed toward the highway.

"Okay, Mom. I need to know what's happening."

"Morgan, when I told you your father died, it wasn't true. He was convicted of armed robbery and sent to prison. I was the one that testified against him, when he became abusive to me while I was pregnant. He never knew you existed and I couldn't tell him, because he didn't want children."

"So, if he's in jail, why are we leaving?"

"This morning a police officer called and told me he was released from prison today. The police were concerned for my safety, since your father threatened to kill me when he was released, for sending him to prison."

"So he's after us?"

"We don't know for sure, but I couldn't take a chance to wait and find out. I have to protect you at all costs. That's why we're going away with Grandma and Grandpa. We can't stay around here anymore. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, but I didn't want you to constantly be in fear."

"I understand, Mom, but where are we going?"

"Your mom doesn't even know, Morgan. Let me get Grandma on speakerphone. She wanted to tell you herself."

"Call Home," Grandpa instructed.

"Doyle Residence."

"Who are you?"

"Detective Miller, who is this?"

"Mr. Doyle, where is my wife?"

"I'm sorry sir; there's been a home invasion."

"Did Jimmy Callahan kill my wife?"

"Unfortunately, yes. She didn't lock her door."


Writing Prompt
Write a poem or short story beginning with the words 'She didn't lock her door...' This may stand alone or be a part of a sentence. Maximum word count: 1,000.

Author Notes
998 Words

Photo is licensed to me by Adobe Stock

     

© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement