FanStory.com - Chapter Treinta y uno (31) Part Dosby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim and Soni go back to the ranch.
Texas Dream Catcher
: Chapter Treinta y uno (31) Part Dos by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Kuruk walked over to Jim. "You've been studying that window for quite a while. What's on your mind?"

"I think we need to force Miguel to show his hand?"

Soni stood. "How are we going to do that? If I walk up and ask him, he's not going to admit anything."

Jim grinned. "No, but he might with some friendly persuasion."

Fi growled.

TODAY'S POST:

Part 2

Soni's eyebrows rose. "What do you have in mind?"

"Right now, just getting you home so you can rest." Jim stepped closer to Tatiana. "Has the doctor given any indication when you'll be released?"

"Dr. Hatcher's shocked at how fast I'm healing." Tatiana glanced at Kuruk, with a smile across her lips. "She said if I keep progressing and have no signs of infection that I might be able to go home tomorrow afternoon."

"Sounds good. I'll take Soni to the ranch. We'll call in the morning and then decide if we should return or not."

Soni glared at Jim. "Since when do you tell me what I'm going to do?" She sat and crossed her arms. "I'm staying with Tatiana until she's released. I've already been away from her too long."

"You're completely worn out and still recovering from a concussion. Since you're not taking care of yourself, I appointed myself to do the job." Jim replaced Fi inside his shirt. "Besides, Fi needs to meet Goliath and Butkus."

Soni laughed. "That's not going to go over well."

"Probably not, but it still needs to be done. She just might teach them a thing or two." Jim grinned. "Ready to leave?"

"I'm staying here. You can take the pint, no half-pint sized dog to the ranch by yourself."

Kuruk stood in front of Soni. "Granddaughter, Jim's looking out for your well-being. You'd be wise to listen."

With eyes squeezed shut, Soni said, "Oh, all right. We'll take the helicopter. It'll be faster."

Jim searched through his billfold. When he found the correct card, he presented it to Soni. "I'll drive, or should I say fly?"

Grabbing the card, Soni studied it. "You've got to be kidding." She held it up. "His pilot's license."

"My kind a man, one of many talents." Alex chuckled.

Kuruk shook his head and grinned.

Soni hugged Tatiana. "I'll call if we make it home." She turned and added, "We'll take a taxi to the airport. If you get dismissed before we return, the Range Rover will be waiting." She pouted as she looked at Jim. "Are you coming or not?"

"I'm right behind you." He had his phone to his ear. "The taxi should be here in about fifteen minutes."

"Good, that'll give us time to get Isabella's and Emanuel's things from the SUV. I'm sure the little guy could use the diapers."

*****
It wasn't long before Soni and Jim were inside the helicopter with Jim in the cockpit.

Soni reached over and placed her hand on a lever between his legs. "This is the cyclic-pitch lever. The collective's on your left." She pointed. "The throttle's the twistable grip on top. You'll need to open the throttle until you reach the..."

"I know what I'm doing," interrupted Jim. "I've flown many times. Just lean back and relax. I've got this."

"The proper RPM's," Soni completed her sentence and then silenced when Jim's eyes met hers. "Maybe I'll take a nap."

"Good idea."

*****
Soni woke up with a start and brushed the fur-ball away from her face. "Yuck! That mutt just licked my lips!" She used her forearm to wipe her mouth. "You need to teach her some manners."

Jim grabbed the little dog. "I think she's awake, Fi." He laughed. "We're at the ranch." Jim tapped the helicopter's controls. "Is it okay to leave her here?"

Soni glanced around the area. "How did you get her in the garage on the first try? It took me weeks to learn how to park in here."

Soni stepped down and searched around. "It looks like the door jambs are still hanging."

"I told you I've done this before." Jim placed his hand on the small of her back. "Let's get inside." He put Fi inside his shirt. "Let's take this getting acquainted slowly."

Jim opened the front door for Soni, and Goliath and Mack greeted her with tails wagging in complete circles. Soni knelt down, hugged, and petted each Great Pyrenees.

Jackson offered his hand to Jim. "Glad you made it back."

"Has everything stayed peaceful?" Jim eyed the closed bedroom door Isabella and her infant slept in.

"Butkus has decided Emanuel is his responsibility. I wouldn't try to touch him without that dog's permission."

Soni looked up at Jackson. "It doesn't surprise me. Is Isabella down for the night? We brought her supplies."

"I haven't heard anything from the room for a while. I'd say so."

Jim removed Fi from inside his shirt and handed her to Soni. "Introduce her to your guys. I'll get the supplies from the helicopter."

Jackson eyed the Yorkie. "I'll help while you explain why there's a dog in your shirt."

Soni moved her legs around and sat on the floor. She put the puppy on her lap. "Boys, you need to meet Fi."

Goliath sniffed the dog and then looked at Soni.

"I know she's small. She isn't going to grow a lot, either. I have no idea what she's good at, but Jim seems to like her. Think you can be friends?"

After Goliath lay down, Mack sighed and followed.

Fi wiggled away from Soni's hold and cuddled in between the two large dogs.

Both dogs looked at Soni as if to say, 'Really?'

Soni petted her two boys. "I guess this is your way of accepting her, for now. Right?" She turned her head toward the door when she heard a noise.

Both large dogs rose faster than Soni. Fi stood underneath Goliath while she barked.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of a Great Pyrenees with a kitten on it's back. I know Fi is a Yorkie, but we can pretend, right? A few reviewers had asked about Goliath and Mack. They've been busy helping Butkus hold down the ranch. LOL
Many of you know I had a Pyrenees. A few years ago, we had to put him down because of bone cancer. They're great dogs, as long as you don't mind shedding. I'd love to have another. My husband said I had to go smaller and he choose a dachshund. He's a great little guy, but much more of a stinker. LOL
I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
School starts for teachers tomorrow. This year we have two weeks before the students start. If I don't get you reviewed, I'm sorry. My reviewing time will be greatly reduced. I miss your posts already.
One of my goals for this summer was to finish this novel. As you can tell that didn't happen. I have written posts into October. I can say with some confidence it should be finished by the end of October.





     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement