FanStory.com - Get Over Yourself - my two centsby Dawn Munro
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
not aimed at any one person or organization - shared essay
Get Over Yourself - my two cents by Dawn Munro

Get Over Yourself

By

D. Dawn Munro


Is it just me, or does there seem to be an increase in the ratio of writing snobs versus humble, sweet authors who enjoy the craft, respect it, and understand that real authors support and encourage each other?

I am growing increasingly annoyed by stories I'm hearing from other writers, especially new ones, about the condescending, sometimes even insulting remarks/comments they are being subjected to (like being called a "dog", indirectly. This happened to a friend of mine, yesterday.)

Big fish in little pond syndrome, I call it. Real writers 'network', they don't treat communication with their peers like they're at a social function, and they never say anything they wouldn't want said to them. (Most real writers, I imagine, that is. Like anything else, there's probably the odd one in the bunch who's pompous and arrogant, but I've yet to encounter one, and I have dozens of missives from the best, most reputable publishing houses and agencies, both here, in Canada, and in the United States.)

Networking is all about sharing valuable information, like what magazine might be seeking something your peer has written, not who is dating whom, what you did for fun last night, or how to make friends and influence people (unless you are writing a speech for Dale Carnegie).

What has happened to professionalism in writing?

Serious writers have had to adapt to this whole social networking thing, but most have done it kicking and screaming--you don't have to believe me--research it yourself. Just remember, no author is likely to tell you, one of his/her 'fans', he/she hates the intrusion/invasion of privacy, but reluctantly endorses social media because of the incredible advertising opportunities for his/her product. He or she might, if your query is written well enough, but gain some real credits in the publishing world first would be my advice.

Regardless, treat others with the respect they deserve. That's showing some class.

Honestly, with the advent of the net and all the online publishing opportunities anymore, some people seem to have gotten just a little too full of themselves. It's time to bring it down a notch; when you make a living with actual written words and not by creating a website to charge others for theirs (for example), then you might actually have bragging rights. I'm not talking about a few bucks here and there, either; pet columns pay for cute pictures and a few words, and it takes little more than a lucky shot, and the mere hint of literacy to publish with them.

Likewise, some of the e-zines that exist on the worldwide web today accept and even pay--that doesn't mean you've graduated to recognized, famed author status, and even if it did, chances are you would handle yourself with far more grace.

If you're one of those writing 'snobs'; you'll do yourself a big favor if you get over yourself. Confidence is one thing; boorish is another.

~~~

 

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement