FanStory.com - Case Solvedby Douglas Goff
An unexpected twist
Murder At The Berkshire
: Case Solved by Douglas Goff

Previously:


With Hattie being alone and her children living out of state, the older daughter placed her in a home for the elderly. Unfortunately, she finds herself even more lonely surrounded by people. When Hattie learns of the mysterious death of Mr. Howell up on the fourth floor, she decides to look into it. The ladies create the Senior Sleuth Society. They decide they need to visit Room 413, where Mr. Howell died. There, they discovered an earring. Hattie's investigation didn't make Director Chapman happy. Finally, Hattie discovered a Last Will And Testimony showing that Attendant Hazel inheritrd all of Mr. Howell's assets. Now Hattie's group has gathered to solve thew mystery!

New:

"Well?" Hattie stared at her furrowed browed companions.

“We know that the last two people to see Edgar Howell alive were Hazel and Phil, making them our two key suspects.” Narcoleptic Nelly speculated. 

“Even more suspicious is that Phil and Mr. Howell were both vying for Hazel’s attention,” Nancy added. “Has to be one of the two.”

“So which one did it, Hattie?” Art shrugged his shoulders. 

“Come on Senior Sleuth Society. Look at the clues.” Hattie nodded at them with expectation.

Kathy raised her hand excitedly, “Okay. Me, me me! Let’s see . . . a love triangle between the three . . .or at least an ‘attention triangle’. . . Detective Steele said Howell died of a heart attack from too much viagra  . . . who left a will leaving his money to Hazel.”

“Hazel stated she didn’t know about the will until after Mr Howell died. Poor man had no living relatives.” Art reminded them. 

“That means it was Phil. He slipped Mr. Howell a lethal boner concoction so he could have all of Hazel’s attention.” Nancy deduced while staring into her mirror. “Very romantic in an odd sort of way.”

Everyone looked at Hattie, who said, “Nope. You are forgetting the two clues we found in room 312.”

“Two? You just found Hazel’s earring.” Joy frowned. 

“Yes. I remember that Mr. Howell died halfway across the room, heading for the davenport, like somebody was there. He was up when he had his heart attack.” Nel deduced, scratching her head. 

Jubilee Joy started bouncing with excitement. “Oh my gosh! I can’t believe I missed it. When we interviewed Hazel, she said she had lost her earrings the same day Mr. Howell had died!”

“So?” Art shrugged.

“So she also said that she had not seen Edgar Howell for two days. That’s not possible if the earring was in his room.” Joy clapped her hands.

“She lied!” Art exclaimed eagerly. 

“Yes, and of course she knew about the will. Howell would have told her if he was after her attention.” Nel determined. 

“So, Attendant Hazel is our killer. For his money?” Nancy stared at Hattie. 

“Very good, my friends. You solved it. Hazel got the pills from Phil. She went to Mr. Howell’s room that night and gave him the overdose of Viagra under the guise of seducing him. He had a heart attack when he got up to take her on the davenport.” Hattie beamed proudly at her group. 

“So what now, Hattie?” Joy looked nervous. “Do we call the police?”

“No. We don’t do anything.” Hattie frowned. 

“What? Why not?” Art shook his head. 

Hattie’s face tightened. “Because I made the whole case up.” 

The others all began to talk . . .but Joy raised her hands and took over. “What do you mean? The whole thing was faked?”

“Yes. I got the idea when you and Nel approached me about Mr. Howell’s death, I really did place some calls and learned that he had actually died of a heart attack, but it wasn’t suspicious. I also learned that he had no family so didn’t see any harm.” Hattie shrugged. “I never picked Hazel’s  earring up off the floor. It had been in my hand the entire time. I actually found it on the floor of her office the day Nelly had fallen asleep in my room. When I went to get Hazel she was sleeping and I saw it buried into the carpet near her chair. I got the idea to use it in our caper.”

“But you found the will, Hattie.” Joy accused. “You took it from Hazel’s desk.”

“Did you actually see me take it? Or did you just see it in my hand?” Hattie shrugged again. “My daughter Sarah works in a law office. She drew it up for our little murder mystery.”

“But why, Hattie?” Nel asked the million dollar question. 

Hattie’s mind went back to that day in the dining room when she first met Joy and Nel and saw a way out of her loneliness and remembered what she had thought at the time. Suspicious death? Mystery? Perfect. This is right up my alley. 

“Why? Because when I came here I had no friends. I was very lonely. So . . . I went back to what I knew best. Murder.” She sighed. 

“Murder?” Joy looked confused. 

Hattie went to the nearby bookshelves and began pulling books off, tossing them to her companions. They included Crimes of Sodden House, The Cypress Hill Killings, Three Rivers of Blood, Clues of Corpse River, and What Lies Beneath The Lilies

“These were all written by Cora Black?” Art held up Three Rivers Of Blood.

“Black was my maiden name. When I was a child, the adults all called me Cora, short for incorrigible. I used that as my pen name when I published. It sounded better than Hattie Hatfield.” She shrugged. 

Chatty Cathy shook her head then whistled. "I had heard you were a writer, but you're telling us you're the famous Cora Black?” 

“Well, west coast famous, but yes, guilty as charged.” Hattie smiled. 

Art was staring at her, his face unreadable. “ I don’t remember seeing any case like ours in any of your books.”

“It just came to me as we went along.” Hattie looked nervous, realizing the entire reading room was now staring at her. She wasn’t quite sure how long they had all been silent. “Look, are you guys mad at me? I just wanted some friends.”

After an awkward silence, Jubilee Joy started clapping. Soon, she was joined by others until the entire room was applauding. Hattie stood there stunned. “How did all these other people know?”

Chatty Cathy gingerly raised her hand. “I told just a few people what we were doing. Well, a few each day. By the end of the first week it had spread all over and people wanted updates.”

Art Romantica came to his feet. “That’s how I found out. Guess I am a co-conspirator in your little drama bexause I was the one who slipped the note under your door since I was aware of the innocent flirtations between Hazel, Phil, and Mr. Howell. I thought it was a genuine clue.” 

“Art, are we good?” She rubbed her hands together nervously. 

Art came over and kissed Hattie on the forehead. “Of course. You’re brilliantly clever.”

“I don’t know about brill—”

“Do another one,” Barfett shouted from the back of the reading room..

Windy Wendy made a suspiciously unpleasant sound, then seconded, “Yes, but you must include more people.”

“I want in!” Grumpy Gus actually had what could possibly pass for a smile on his face. 

“Yes indeed, Hattie, this is the most fun we’ve had in years. Can you please do another one?” Her friend Joy smiled warmly at her. 

Hattie cleared her throat and began pacing. “It’s interesting you asked, because I recently heard some disturbing information about a cook who disappeared from this very building ten years ago, and was neither seen, nor heard from again.”

“Old Mister Mcgillicuddy?” Joy bounced with excitement

“Yes, the very exact one. Of course, we will need to keep our investigation strictly amongst those of us in this very room. ” Hattie May Hatfield was finally home.

                                               THE END (Or is it?)

CHARACTERS:

Key Residents
Hattie May Hatfield-New resident who used to be an author
Katherinne Beck-Chatty Kathy, a resident who talks constantly
Jubilee Joy-Bubbly lady
Narcoleptic Nelly-Plump, purple-fashioned lady, who falls asleep
Art Antica-A cold, but cute resident
Jerk Beefy-An amorous sleazy resident
Moaning Lisa-Jerk Beefy's girlfriend
Narcissistic Nancy-Pretty lady who loves the mirror
Lesser Residents
Grumpy Gus-A cranky, very old residents
Barfett-a slovenly resident who eats sloppy
Windy Wendy-A resident who constantly passes gas
Pharmacuetical Phil Barnes-Supplies pills to the male residents

Employees
Harold Chapman-Pencil pushing Berkshire Director
SUSPECT Debra-The Berkshire Nurse
SUSPECT Mrs. Janice Cooley-Attendant
SUSPECT Harvey Marsh- Attendant
SUSPECT Becky Hazel- Attendant
SUSPECT Jimmy Williams-Attendant
SUSPECT Carmen Marsala-Attendant
SUSPECT Bill Henderson-Maintenance Man

Deceased
Edward Howell-Sent to the 4th floor, then suspiciously died
Paul Hatfield-Hattie's deceased police detective husband
Extras
Sarah Hatfield-Hattie's oldest daughter
Detective Steele-Hattie's deceased husband's old partner
Marcy-Narcisistic Nancy's sister

Author Notes
A short one . . . but fun to try a new avenue! I appreciate everyone who hung in there with me!!!

     

© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement