FanStory.com - The Anatomy of a Marriage Ch. 7by BethShelby
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Continuation of story of a Florida family.
Anatomy of a Marriage
: The Anatomy of a Marriage Ch. 7 by BethShelby

Once Trenton had departed for the treatment center, Marsha was overcome with a feeling of loss. She had never been away from him more than a day or two, and even then, there was always the option of getting in touch by phone should the need arise. This was different, and she felt truly alone as the responsible adult left to hold her family together. She couldn’t even reach him by phone until the treatment center felt it wouldn’t impede his progress. She scolded herself for throwing a private pity party and allowing the tears to flow as she waited for the children to get home.

As soon as she heard the children come inside, she called them together, saying she had something she needed to tell them. Joey knew what this meeting was all about, and he was anxious to know if his dad had consented to go for treatment. The others seemed alarmed, fearing news of perhaps an illness or someone like one of their grandparents dying.

“Kids, I’m sure you are aware your dad has been drinking more often lately. You know alcoholism runs in his family and his father died from a liver disease brought on by drinking. It is like any other disease and when it gets out of hand it has to be treated.”

“He doesn’t drink any more than most people,” Timothy interrupted. “Jerramy's dad across the street gets mean when he drinks. I’ve seen him drunk. He gave Jerramy a black eye once and he curses. Daddy doesn’t do that.”

“No, your dad has more control, but that’s all the more reason, we’ve decided your dad needs to go for treatment before it gets any worse and something bad happens. He is going to be away for a while. It will just be us for now, but we can handle it. When he gets back home, hopefully he won’t feel the need to drink and things will go back to normal.”

“What did Dad say when he came in to that place, and everyone was there telling him he had to go away? I’ll bet he was furious," Joey said.  

“What? You knew all the time and you didn’t say anything,” Linsey snaped angerly. “Who told Daddy he had to go away? Why wasn’t I told anything? I’m nearly as old as you are, Joey. And Mom, you always act like he is your favorite. You tell him everything. He knows what’s happening before anyone else. It'snot fair. Parents aren’t supposed to have favorites.”

Marsha’s heart sank. She had hoped to avoid this reaction. Why did Joey have to pick this moment to let them know he knew? Linsey can be so dramatic and temperamental. I knew she'd go off like a wounded cat.

“Honey, you know I don’t have favorites. I love every one of you. I’d never keep anything important from you, but you are too quick to over-react sometime. I’m telling all of you right now.” Marsha addressed her youngest daughter. “Tracy, do you have anything to say about this?”

“I don’t care if he goes away. He’s always going somewhere. It’s ok as long as you don’t leave. I didn’t even know he was drinking too much. I thought all grownups drank. Dad hardly ever talks to me anyway."

Marsha sighed, wondering if she and Trenton hadn’t been paying enough attention to their children. They had a way of surprising you with their observations. She would need to spend more time with them.

The kids had more questions, and it took a while to get them settled. Up to this point, raising them had gone smoothly. She hoped it could continue that way, but with all of them now teens, things might get out of hand while their father was away. Jacksonville wasn’t an ideal place for raising teenagers. She’d already been concerned about some of the parties they’d attended. Drugs and alcohol were often available. She’d recently put a lock on their liquor cabinet. Maybe she would decide not to stock it in the future. She enjoyed a glass of wine occasionally, but it was something she could easily do without.

She planned to tell Latisha when she came in to work tomorrow. Thank goodness, they had hired Latisha. She was going to have to depend on her maid more than ever now.

She had avoided her friend Barbara lately, but now she decided would be a good time to let them know what was going on. Bruce would miss his weekend drinking buddy.

When Marsha went next door, Barbara greeted her warmly and she could see the relief in her friend’s face as she told her about the intervention. Barbara said, “The last time we were together, I knew something was wrong. You weren’t your usual friendly self. I thought maybe I had done something to offend you. We used to get together every day or so. I can’t believe the firm was willing to pay to have Trenton go for treatment. I’m even more surprised, he was willing to go. You know when Bruce worked for the firm, they didn’t give him that option. They fired him outright for drinking on the job. I never told you that was the reason he left the firm, did I?”

“No, I thought he left because he found a job he felt more comfortable with doing.”

“It’s embarrassing to have to tell someone your husband got fired. I wish they had sent him for treatment, but Bruce wasn’t a partner like Trenton. I’d give anything if he didn’t drink so much.”

“His drinking wasn’t all that was bothering me,” Marsha admitted. “I suspected he was cheating on me. I still don’t know that he isn’t, but I’ve got to deal with one thing at a time. Maybe if he can get his drinking under control, the other will take care of itself. I can at least hope that might happen."

,,,,,,,,

A week later, a courier arrived bringing Trenton’s check from the firm. It contained a shock Marsha hadn’t anticipated.

CHARACTERS: 
Marsha Carlson  wife of Trenton age 43
Trenton Carlson  husband and law partner 45 
Joey Carlson  son. Age 17 
Linsey Carlson daughter age 16
Timothy Carlson son Age 14
Tracie Carlson daughter Age 13
Barbara Parks Next door neighbor and Marsha' best friend
Bruce Parks  Barbara's husband  Trenton's friend and drinking buddy.
Latisha James the Carlson's maid age 28
Sheri Weldon Trenton's legal secretary  age 26
Bill Cunningham  senior law partner 

Recognized

Author Notes
The Intervention for Trenton's drinking initiated by his law firm is over, and he agreed to a treatment center for 6 weeks. Marsha is dealing with her four children alone.

     

© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement