FanStory.com - Chapter 21 Aby barbara.wilkey
What does allegiance mean?
Willing Hearts
: Chapter 21 A by barbara.wilkey

Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, shut down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him.

Noah and Sami met 26 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Noah glanced toward the house. "We should probably go inside."

Tilting her head and smiling, Sami said, "I'm pretty sure Jasper hasn't finished his job, yet."

Chuckling, Noah added, "I think he finished quite a while ago." He took her hand. "Let's head toward the house."

On the way, Sami said, "I like how we talk things out. I hope that never stops."

"I'm pretty sure you'll make sure it doesn't."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"It's a great thing." As they stepped on the front porch, Noah faced Sami and kissed her. "Goodnight." He hesitated. "I couldn't do it inside but wanted to."

She leaned over and kissed him. "Goodnight, Noah."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 21 A


Friday morning as predawn lit the sky, Noah knocked on Sami's bedroom door. When she opened it, he scanned the area behind him, took her hand, and pecked her cheek. "Good morning, Sunshine. Ready for our run?"

Her smile lit the room. "I am. You seem cheerful this morning."

"I get to run with you." He watched Jasper stand at the front door. "I guess he's ready."

"I think he's more than ready."

After they ran for a while, Noah said, "What's on your mind? It's not like you to keep quiet. Out with it."

"You've carried a gun every time we've left the house. I don't remember seeing it until we came here. I understand I'm in protective custody, but it's normally safe. I'm wondering why."

"In my job I've made enemies. I'm always armed. Before we came here, I kept it concealed. You didn't see it."

"You don't wear it inside."

"With all the security surrounding the house, It's probably not necessary."

"When we leave here and if we date, will you be armed?"

Noah nodded. "Yes. I'll keep it concealed."

"How about inside my apartment?" asked Sami.

"Your apartment isn't as secure as it is here, so yes."

No one spoke as they continued around the pond.

Noah broke the silence, "I've kind of figured out how you think. If we get married, I'll keep the gun in a locked cabinet. I'm guessing since you're from a large family, you'll want kids. Any future kids wouldn't have access to it. I'm a stickler for gun safety."

Pink-tinged Sami's cheeks. "Thank you. I didn't want to ask because I didn't want to assume anything."

"I understand." Noah chuckled. "I'd hate to be our honeymoon and discover you won't allow guns in the house."

"That would be a problem, wouldn't it?" She hesitated. "I've never been around guns."

"If our relationship continues, I'll teach you the basics. You won't have to learn to shoot, unless you want to, but you do need to learn to respect them."

"Okay." Sami focused straight ahead. "You're okay with having kids?"

"I am. How many are you considering?"

"I haven't decided. Somedays two, some days six. I think I'll wait and see what happens."

"I like that plan. I hope your husband gets a say."

"He will." Sami stumbled. "Ouch!" She stopped running and limped around.

"What's wrong?"

"Calf cramp. I'll walk it out."

Noah jogged in a circle. "Sure?"

"Yes. I probably haven't been drinking enough water."

"That'll do it." Noah watched her walk. After a few moments, he said, "Lie on the grass. I'll stretch it out."

She lay down and raised her leg. "Thank you."

After moving the leg and foot, Noah asked, "Any better?"

"Yes. It's better, but I can still feel it."

As Sami started to stand, Noah said, "Just a minute. I'll rub it down."

After the calf massage, Sami exhaled. "Thank you. It's a lot better. You've had experience with this, haven't you?"

"Since we're required to stay in shape for our job, I have."

"You're more handsome than the athletic trainers I'm used to. They were old men."

Noah stopped and studied Sami. "Since you're twenty-five, and I'm a few years older am I classified in that category?"

Sami began running and over her shoulder said, "They were way older than you."

As they got close to the house, Jose came out and tossed Sami a bottle of water. "Hydrate."

"Thank you. You saw?"

He nodded. "I did. Boss, did you see the..."

"Bobcat watching from the tree line?" interrupted Noah. "Yes, and so did Jasper but since it stayed away, I think it was just curious." He opened the door for Sami. "Ready to go inside?"

"I'll shower and then fix breakfast."

*****
During breakfast, Sami studied Noah. I wondered what's bothering him. Nothing happened during our run. Maybe it's work related.

Sami helped clear the breakfast dishes, and when Noah walked by, she asked, "Is something wrong?"

"No. Just getting more coffee." He poured a cup, started to leave, but stopped and turned. "I'm thirty-two."

Sami studied him. "Okay."

"My birthday's in February. Yours is in September. I'd started second grade when you were born." He stared into her eyes. "If I'm too old, I want to know now before our relationship goes any farther."

Walking up to Noah, Sami put her arms around him and kissed him. "I hope that answers your question."

He swallowed. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. Your age doesn't bother me. I knew you were older but didn't know your exact age. Thank you for sharing." Sami exhaled. "Does me being twenty-five bother you? You may be teased you're robbing the cradle."

Noah chuckled. "No more than you getting teased I'm your sugar daddy."

Laughing Sami said, "I might get used to having a sugar daddy. You never know."

Shaking his head, Noah said, "If that's what you're looking for, you wouldn't have turned down your prince." He glanced toward the computer room. "Later this morning, I need to contact him." He squeezed her hand. "I'll get with you later."

*****
Almost noon, Noah entered Sarah and Bob's bedroom, the makeshift computer lab, and asked, "Bob, would you contact Mateo?"

"Roger that, Boss." Bob set up a Zoom call.

After Mateo answered and greetings were completed, Noah said, "Thank you for the good job you did last week. Fifteen young girls are on their way to recovery."

"You're welcome. I've been worried about Chen getting away. How does Sami feel about that?"

"She understood the importance of rescuing the young girls. Any idea where you're going tonight?" Noah listened and then said, "Putting the escort services in alphabetical order and going down the list makes as much sense as any. So tonight, you're going to 'Queen Bees' around 8:00? Any idea who's in charge?"

"No. It's not listed. I'll do what I've been doing and force the manager to show up."

"It works. Be careful."

"Noah, of course, I'm always careful. Say hello to Sami for me."

"Sure will. We'll talk before you go out." Noah sniffed, peonies, and then turned. "Sami, come in. Mateo's on the computer. Want to say hi?"

Sami entered. "Of course." She interlocked her fingers with Noah's. "Hi Mateo. Thank you for helping rescue those girls last week."

Noah glanced at her hand holding his.

Sarah touched Noah's arm and motioned for him to walk with her. When they were across the room, she whispered, "Sami took your hand to let you know no matter what Mateo says, you have nothing to worry about. Don't blow it."

Noah nodded. When he moved beside Sami, he slipped his arm around her waist.

Sami glanced at him and smiled. When she did, he tightened his hold.

Mateo continued, "Mi Amor, I know we didn't get Chen, but I won't quit until we do."

"I know. Maybe you'll get lucky tonight."

"How are you really doing? You know you're welcome to stay with me. I promise you'll be safe."

"Thank you for the offer, but I'm doing good here."

"You could continue to help me improve my English."

Shaking her head, Sami said, "There's nothing wrong with your English. You're English is excellent when you want it to be. I'm onto your tricks."

Mateo put his hand over his heart. "Mi Amor, you crushed me." He looked down and pretended to shed a tear. "The only way my heart will recover is if you'll agree to marry me."

Sami pecked Noah's cheek. "I can't. My heart belongs elsewhere. Please be safe tonight. I came in to tell everybody lunch is on the table. I'm sending love and prayers for your mission tonight. Please be safe. I couldn't stand it if anything happened to you."

"Mi Amor, you do love me. I knew it."

"I love you like the brother I never had." Sami blew him a kiss. "Goodbye, be safe." She turned and left.

After Bob and Noah said goodbye to Mateo, Noah walked into the kitchen and touched Sami's arm. "Thank you for making sure I understood where your allegiance lies."

Sami laughed. "So, it's called where my allegiance lies?"

"At least for now."

"Okay, but I'd rather say who my heart belongs to."

"Sami."

She pecked his cheek, "I got it," she went into the dining room.

Shaking his head, Noah continued to the table.

Jose studied Noah. "There's a lot of head shaking. Anything we need to be concerned about? Want to share?"

Sami took a drink of water. "I think Boss Man's trying to come up with a new adjective to describe me. The first nine evidently don't cover it."

Noah chuckled. "She's right. I can't seem to find the right word. I'm sure there's one." After he exhaled, he said, "Maybe perplexing."

Jose asked, "Does that mean completely baffling and puzzling?"

Nodding, Noah said, "I think so. That should cover Sami, don't you think?"

Sarah added, "I don't see her as baffling or puzzling."

Bob grinned. "That's because you're a female and you two think alike."

Sami's eyes lit the room. "Great minds think alike. I guess I just reached number ten on the adjectives list." After a few moments, she asked, "I'm wondering exactly what allegiance mean?"

Jose tilted his head, "How about obedient?"

"Maybe devotion?" asked Bob. "Sami, where you going with this?"

Before she could answer, Sarah said, "The loyalty or commitment of a subordinate to a superior."

"Interesting." Sami faced Noah. "I disagree. I'll stick with my original answer, 'who my heart belongs to.' As much as I care for you, I doubt I'll ever be obedient."

Exhaling Noah said, "I'm sure you're right. I don't expect you to be, but..."

"I understand that because I'm in protective custody, I'm not allowed to have feelings for you. Maybe I can have feelings for you, but you can't have any for me." Sami noticed everybody watching her. "I guess this isn't the place to have this discussion, is it?" She stood. "I'll hide in my room."

Jose called after her, "Sami, it's okay. We already know you and Noah have a thing going on."

Noah exhaled. "Don't encourage her." He stood and headed toward Sami's closed door. "We need to talk."

"Good luck," said Sarah.

Bob grinned. "I have a feeling you're going to need it."


~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl whom Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Ryan Brown - All around jerk. He thinks highly of himself.

Marc - Sami's old boyfriend.

Mateo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - a very close friend of Sami's; a rich playboy

Juan Pablo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - Mateo's father

Author Notes
Thank you, Google Images for a photo of a Hispanic man. This may resemble Mateo.

Chapter 21 is another long chapter. I'm posting it in two parts. Chapter 21 A is the first part. Chapter 21 A is a little over 1700 words.

As always, I changed some things as I post. This week was pretty normal, whatever that is, so I was able to edit every day, but still changed things last minute. I appreciate all the help.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement