FanStory.com - Possibilityby HarryT
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An AI revolution.
Possibility by HarryT
Opening Line writing prompt entry

The machine was writing its own lines of code. Jason hurried to the keyboard and began pressing the escape key again and again. The computer continued to write code. Jason turned to the power switch; it was in the off position. “My God!” Jason intoned. The machine was generating its own power. A terrifying question seeped into Jason’s brain. Has Atlas learned to function without human involvement?



Writing Prompt
The first sentence of your story should entice your reader to keep reading. There needs to be a hook to reel them in. It could start *in media res* (in the middle of the action/plot) or a mysterious phrasing that intrigues the reader.

Ex: As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous
vermin. (Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka)

Ex: It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. (1984 by George Orwell)

Compare this to: The alarm went off and I got out of bed.
Which story would you rather read based on the first sentence?

****Write an opening paragraph to a story, with a 'hook' in the first sentence. The intrigue/action can continue making the whole paragraph a hook, but the punch should be in the first sentence.

****Prose only, one paragraph, not a whole story (this isn't a flash) just an opening paragraph. Any genre. Fiction or Nonfiction.

     

© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement