FanStory.com - Getting To Know Meby Claire Tennant
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Do you really want to know?
Getting To Know Me by Claire Tennant
Teach Me Something (3) writing prompt entry
Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

It's funny how I like to quote from musicals, in this case, ‘The King and I’.  With apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein, Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr, though I daresay none of them would care.  Yet though I love music and wanted to be a singer like Mum was. I only listen to it in its various forms, despite the training in my younger days, church worship being the exception.

I was born in Glasgow and am called Claire because Mum’s maiden name was Sinclair. My parents emigrated to Melbourne, Australia, in 1967. Life was not all that easy.  I spoke with a strong Scottish accent and still do after all these years.  Some children told me I talked funny; I thought it amusing, that those who said this, were usually of European backgrounds. Further, owing to cerebral palsy at birth, I limped and did not have the full use of my left hand. I still don’t. It is another cause for ridicule, not just from children either. Epilepsy developed but has not bothered me in thirty years. I do not drive a vehicle for that reason. One of my youth club friends lost his older sister when someone took a fit at the wheel. That was another wise decision; however, my husband, egged on by my brother, would say I am good at driving folk batty!

I once considered teaching but decided it was not for me, though I worked at a tertiary college among teachers for a short while. One day, there was an urgent staff meeting for the teachers. My boss asked if I could do them a favour and listen to a group of women read out loud. The task was not daunting, but I knew that day that my decision not to teach, except Sunday school for a time, was a wise one.   It is a pity that the holidays are restricted to four weeks in the year in other professions.

I was always a wee bit shy until I joined the marvellous organisation called Toastmasters International. For about fifteen years, I learned the art of public speaking and debating. The art of evaluation was based on a Praise Improvement Praise, or Sandwich method manner. Toastmasters insisted that no one but no one was allowed to feel deflated or a failure by trying.  Nothing took over from that hobby, though I did a little worship leading at the church for a while.

I married a long-term church friend in 2013; instant grown family, and instant large bunch of in-laws. We have a toy poodle named Zack, who thinks he is the leader of the pack; on second thoughts that is more like in charge of servants.

Well, that’s not all for me, but it will do for now.      God Bless you all.                          



Writing Prompt
In this round of Teach Me Something, the theme is YOU.

*choose a topic about you that others may not know much about:
--an unusual job or hobby, or a little-known aspect of it
--an unusual accomplishment or ability
--a medical/genetic condition
--anything related to you that would be informative to others
--nonfiction, prose, suggested word count: 100-1000
--not-blind contest so people get to know YOU better!

     

© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement