FanStory.com - The End of an Autumn Dayby Mark D. R.
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hailu* 5-7-5 poem (late autumn sunset)
The End of an Autumn Day by Mark D. R.
5-7-5 writing prompt entry
Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

late autumn sunset
paints the skyline bright orange —
pinks for tomorrow


Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 Poem! This is a poem with only three lines. The catch is there is a strict syllable count. The first line has 5 syllables, second 7, third 5 again.

Author Notes
* Hailu is my personal combination of a 5-7-5 syllabled Haiku format and the 3-5-3 word poem format created by poet Jack Collom

The lune is also known as the American Haiku. It was first created by the poet Robert Kelly (truly a great poet) and was a result of Kelly's frustration with English haiku. After much experimentation, he settled on a 13-syllable, self-contained poem that has 5 syllables in the first line, 3 syllables in the second line and 5 syllables in the final line.

There is a variant lune created by poet Jack Collom. His form is also a self-contained tercet, but his poem is word-based (not syllable-based) and has the structure of 3 words in the first line, 5 words in the second line and 3 words in the final line.

As with Kelly's, there are no other rules.

Thanks to FanArtist cleo85 for this photo illustration.

     

© Copyright 2024. Mark D. R. All rights reserved.
Mark D. R. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement