FanStory.com - Bricks, Mortar And...by Claire Tennant
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Finding it at last.
Bricks, Mortar And... by Claire Tennant
Renovations writing prompt entry
Artwork by meg119 at FanArtReview.com

"Bob, look what I have found?"
"What is it, darling? The crown jewels!" there was a hint of impatience.
"Nah, better than that, come and see."
The cheeky smile faded, and his eyes were like saucers.
"It could not be, could it?"
It was time to drop everything and put the thinking caps on. My heart was racing, I suspect Bob's was, too.


It was a sunny mid-winter morning. Bob and I travelled towards our old house to inspect the renovations. I was excited as I had not seen it properly since moving back to Melbourne. We had been interstate for two years, and the property had been rented out. Now, both Bob and I had secured jobs "back home." We aimed to make those annoying unusable rooms plus an ancient kitchen modern and inviting.
I emerged from the car just a little disappointed that the progress was slow, but glad I had the old rags on in case and extra pair of hands were needed.
"Come and meet the gang, darling," said Bob as he took my hand in his.
"Hi, Bob." The overseer approached us. He smiled at me.
"Morning, Mrs Gleeson, I am Joe. How are you today?"
"Hi Joe, I'm Sue," I replied, shaking his hand.
"In answer to your question, I'm fine. Is there anything I can do to help once the inspection is over?"
"Plenty, Sue. Let me be the guide and introduce you to part of the team."

It had that welcoming feel. I noticed the floorboards were almost completed. I could smell the paint. The master bedroom and ensuite looked marvellous. I stood still momentarily, then turning back, I noticed one of the other bedrooms mid-mess. Automatically I reached for the broom and brushed the dust into a pile. However, amidst the dust pile was a small trinket. Heedless of breathing problems I reached down and picked the trinket up, put in in my jeans pocket and dumped the dusty muck into the bin.
Methodically, I brushed the de-carpeted floors so that the boards could be replaced. Someone had pushed a small table against the wall; however, as the floor was uneven, I was afraid I would lose the table. Inching my way towards the spot. I gasped. On second thoughts, the table was replaceable irrespective of the find, and if the find was what I thought... Moving the table was easy; the hidden trophy was stuck in a small hole in the plaster.

I took one of my hair clips out and deftly made the hole wider The trophy fell into my hand. Close to tears, the memories came back, the loss, the feeling that Bob would never forgive me, then. I needed to get out into the fresh air.
Standing at the back door where Bob and Joe were in deep conversation a few metres away, I whistled. No response. Then Bob ran to me. He thought I was hurt because of the tears.,

"Oh my gosh, Sue. It's your ring, your original engagement ring." Bob was close to tears.
"Oh, darling. We need to leave now and get to the jewellers. He will know whether it is what we think."
Indeed it was.






 


Writing Prompt
While renovating an old building (home, shop, etc), your character discovers something completely unexpected.

Write a flash fiction story (100-1000 words) about this find. It could include backstory of how it got there or consequences of the discovery. Wild speculation and imagination encouraged.

     

© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement