FanStory.com - Spirited Justice Chap 5by Begin Again
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Heads beginning to butt....
Spirited Justice
: Spirited Justice Chap 5 by Begin Again

Background
"Beauty, Brawn, or Brains" was a global platform showcasing women's diverse talents, yet murders, accidents, and deceit haunted the pageant worldwide. Was there a common link or merely coincidence?

The precinct was unusually quiet, with only a handful of officers lingering at their desks. A few more filed out, their shift over, leaving the place almost deserted.

Donatelli waved good night to one of the other detectives and leaned back in his chair. "Looks like it's going to be a late night for you and me, kid. You like Chinese, right? Hope so, because that's what I ordered."

The scent of burnt coffee was faint in the air. "Chinese is good as long as you don't wolf it all down." Danni wrinkled her nose. "When will anyone remember to shut off that coffee pot so it doesn't burn? I can't stand the smell."

"Remind you of anything? Hell, maybe?" Donatelli smirked and shrugged his shoulders. "That's why my coffee comes from across the street." He leaned his head against the back of the chair and closed his eyes. "I probably could use some of that steamy mojo right now."

A sudden knock on the outer door, followed by the delivery man's voice, echoed across the room, "Chinese Takeout for Donatelli."

A lone voice called out, "Hey, Donatelli, you order enough for me too?"

Matthew yelled, "Go home, Frank. Your wife's waiting." He pushed back his chair, muttering, "It's about time." He glanced at Danni, a grin spreading across his face. "I already paid for the food. Go tip the guy, will you?"

Spying his billfold on the corner of the desk, she grinned. "Sure thing!" With a wave of her pointer finger, she opened the wallet, and several bills floated up into the air, hovering above the desk. "Looks like I got three fives."

Matthew jumped out of his chair, snatching the money out of the air. He opened the office door and handed it to the driver, who approached the door. "Thanks, keep the change." He nodded and took the bags of food, closing the door behind him.

Half smirking, half snarling, he glanced at Danni. "You're so funny!" Setting the bags on the desk, he motioned toward them. "Let's eat."

The pair sat across from each other, sharing sweet and sour pork, jasmine rice, egg rolls, and Moo Shu vegetables.

Danni watched Matthew work his chopsticks like a pro, shoveling the food into his mouth.
"I guess you were hungry." She laughed.

Matthew stopped midway to his mouth. "Am I eating too much? Here, take what you want."

"No, I'm not that hungry. I think an egg roll will suffice."

"Are you sure? That doesn't sound like much."

"I'm fine. Finish it." Danni pushed the carton of vegetables toward him. "These are good for you."

Donatelli leaned over his chair and opened the bottom drawer of his desk, pulling out a bottle of Jack Daniels and two glasses. "So is this."

Danni frowned. "I don't think so, my friend. Not tonight. You need a clear head so we can figure this out." She snatched the bottle off the desk and put it on the credenza behind her.

"Last I knew, you're not my mother."

A voice spoke from behind the detective. "Neither am I, but you need to listen to her."

Matthew spun his chair around at the sound of the woman's voice and groaned. "Eleanor! Are you guys teaming up on me?"

Danni shook her head. "Don't look at me. I thought she was in England with Charles."

Knowing Danni would resent her arrival, she flashed a smile in her direction. "I was, but something told me the two of you were going to butt heads and not get this case solved."

Danni frowned at Eleanor. "I'm not a newbie anymore. I can do this without you looking over my shoulder. It's not that I don't love you, but I need to prove myself."

"By bickering with Matthew?"

"It's just a little teasing. It's not my fault the guy walks around with a hangover three-fourths of the time."

Matthew chose one of the egg rolls and bit it in half. "Ladies, I am sitting right here."

Eleanor sighed. "He's right. There's work to be done."

"Exactly what we were doing all day. We did just fine." Danni smirked.

Matthew confirmed Danni's remarks with a nod, taking another bite of an egg roll.

"Really! So what did you find out at the art museum? Besides ruffling Jenna's feathers."

"Is she behind this visit? If so, I can give her a few choice words." Donatelli's voice rose an octave or two.

"No, she's not, and you will mind your manners around my daughter. She's having a difficult enough time with the pageant, the rumors, and now a murder."

The detective shrugged. "If you can't swim with the sharks, get out of the water."

"Matthew, that's enough," Eleanor scolded. "Give me a quick summary of what you found out today."

Danni chuckled. "That shouldn't take long. He made half the place angry and the other half too frightened to talk to him."

"That's not true. I have a young man in custody, sweating it out in a cell. Witnesses said he was fighting with Bennett shortly before the time of death."

"Did he admit to the murder?"

"No, of course not. The guy said he was arguing with Bennett but swears he was alive when he left him. But then, what else would he say?"

"And that's all you've got?" Eleanor's eyes narrowed. "Sounds like a hard day's work!"

"It was our first day. Give me a little time, and I'll break the guy. He'll be signing a confession before you know it."

"No, he won't. Unless you force it out of him."

"Why not?"

"Because he didn't kill Bennett, though the man deserved it."

Danni choked. "Eleanor, did you just say our victim deserved to be killed? What are you basing that on?"

"Two of the girls you terrified have information that proves Bennett was far from squeaky clean. They are too afraid to talk to you."

"I don't bite!" Matthew finished his egg roll. "Okay, so my growl gets a little loud, but that's not a reason to withhold information. Who are these girls? I'll send a patrol car to pick them up, and they'll tell me what they know."

"No, they won't. But if you put on a nice smiling face tomorrow, I will take you to one of them, and she will tell you everything she knows. And before you start sputtering — what she knows is important."

"You tell me then."

"You know I can't. I found your witness and convinced her to talk to you. The rest is up to you. See you tomorrow at ten." Eleanor faded away.

"How can she do that? Come in here and order me around. I'm not going to let her do that."

"Really, Donatelli? I wouldn't say I like it either, but she came up with more information than we did today. Trust me, if Eleanor says she's got a witness, she's got it."

He shoved the last egg roll into his mouth, muttering, "I suppose. Now, can I have the Jack Daniels?"
*****
The private jet descended through the clear azure sky. Its polished fuselage glinted in the midday sun. As the aircraft approached the runway of the small Mexican airport, the pilot could see the aftermath of the recent earthquake. Though still standing, the control tower had visible cracks running along its structure. Scattered debris lay across the tarmac, but the main runway remained intact except for a few surface fractures.

The static echoed from the pilot's radio, and his voice filled the plane. "I'd fasten your seatbelt, Mr. Carter. This might be a bumping landing."

Angelo opened the shutter on his window and looked outside. He saw a partially collapsed hangar, its corrugated metal roof crumpled like paper. Nearby buildings bore the scars of the tremor with shattered windows and broken facades.

The pilot's voice came through the intercom again. "We're about to touchdown, sir."

Upon touchdown, the jet's wheels hit the ground with a thud, sending a cloud of dust and small debris flying. Angelo felt a slight jolt as they taxied over a cracked section of the runway.
As the jet slowed to a halt, one emergency vehicle, lights flashing, appeared nearby. A sleek black limo parked outside the one undamaged hanger.

The jet rolled to a stop, its engines winding down with a deep hum.

"Welcome to Mexico. Enjoy your stay."

Angelo, the sole passenger, unbuckled the seatbelt and stood up, stretching his legs after the long flight from Chicago. The cabin's luxurious leather seats and polished wood accents seemed surreal against the backdrop of the earthquake's aftermath.

As he descended the narrow staircase, the warm Mexican sun greeted him with the faint scent of dust and distant sea air. He glanced around the airport and felt thankful that his departure from Chicago had been delayed by a few hours.

The limo eased across the tarmac, stopping to the left of the stairs. The driver, dressed in a crisp, dark uniform, stepped out and opened the door for him. Angelo nodded in acknowledgment as he approached, feeling the coolness of the air-conditioned interior wash over him as he settled in the back seat.

The limousine smoothly navigated around the damaged sections of the airport. Angelo glanced out the tinted windows, taking in the sight of the cracked control tower and its missing windows.
As they exited the airport, the driver spoke, "Mr. Hernandez is expecting you, sir. We will be going directly to the villa."

Angelo leaned back, his mind shifting from the earthquake's impact to the upcoming meeting. He'd rather not have this one-on-one meeting with Carlos Hernandez, but he didn't have a choice. You don't refuse the invitation when Carlos sends a private jet — not if you're smart.
*****
Angelo straightened his suit jacket as he exited the limousine, nodded to the driver, and walked briskly toward the veranda. The housekeeper opened the door as he approached.
"Welcome back, Mr. Carter. Mr. Hernandez is in his office."

Angelo smiled. "Thank you, Maria. I know my way."

He walked down the long hallway, his footsteps echoing against the marble floor. The door to Carlos' office was open, and the scent of his favorite Cuban cigar filled the air. Angelo could see Carlos behind his mahogany desk, a cigar in his hand. He tapped his knuckles against the door.
Rising from his chair, Carlos greeted him with a warm smile. "Angelo, I hope you had a pleasant flight. The weather was a bit unexpected a few hours ago."

"I saw the damage at the airport, but the villa withstood it all."

"Yes, even Mother Nature fears Carlos Hernandez's wrath." He laughed, a deep throaty sound coming from deep inside his body. "Please, let's drink, and then we'll talk."
*****
The sun was setting, and a cool breeze drifted across the veranda. Carlos had suggested they sit outside and enjoy the view while they talked.

Taking a slow drag from his cigar, Carlos gazed across his land, satisfied with what he saw — miles and miles of land that belonged to him. He would let no one or anything jeopardize what he had worked so hard for, including his son, whom he loved dearly.

"So you have an update for me, Angelo?" He watched as his bourbon swirled around the glass, a silent reminder of his authority. His sources had given him the answer, but he wanted to hear it directly from Angelo.

"I paid her a visit, just like you asked. We had a cordial conversation. She was nervous, but she wasn't talking — at least not yet."

Carlos sipped his drink, his eyes narrowing. "Not yet isn't good enough, Angelo. I sent you to do a job. I don't like loose ends. Did you do it or not?" His voice was sharp, cutting through the evening air.

Angelo cleared his throat. "Her cleaning lady interrupted us before I could press her harder. But I got enough to know she's scared. She knows she's in deep."

Carlos leaned forward in his chair, his tone turning icy cold. "Did you mention Jose?"

Angelo shook his head. "No sir, I figured that was a detail best kept between us for now. She believes Arthur Bennet's blackmail died with him."

Carlos leaned back in his chair, swallowed some of the bourbon, and sighed. "Good! We need to keep it that way. Jose's actions were reckless, but I can't have American authorities sniffing around because of his stupidity. We need to ensure Naomi stays quiet. Permanently, if necessary."

Angelo raised an eyebrow as he felt his heartbeat quicken. "You want me to take care of her?"

Taking a long drag from his cigar, Carlos paused before answering, "Only if it comes to that. First, I want you to pay her another visit. This time, make it clear that any attempt to talk will end badly for her. And Angelo, no more interruptions, understood?"

"Understood, sir. I'll make sure she gets the message loud and clear."

"That's a good boy, Angelo. Remember, unfinished business is bad for both of us. Don't make me regret putting my trust in you."

"I won't, Carlos. You can count on me."

Maria stepped out onto the veranda. "Excuse me, sir, but the cook wants to know if Mr. Carter will stay for dinner."

Without a moment's hesitation, Carlos answered, "No, Maria. Angelo was just leaving for the airport. He has important business in the States."

Angelo finished his drink, stood, and offered his hand to Carlos. "I'll get it taken care of, sir."

Carlos stared at his guest, then smiled. "The limo is waiting. Come back when you can stay longer."

Angelo nodded and walked down the pathway toward the limo. Even in the steamy Mexico sun, he felt a chill, knowing Carlos was watching him.

Author Notes
Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner
Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective
Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor
Matthew Donatelli -- Detective
Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant
Emily - Jenna's faithful assistant
Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer / ex-lover of Donatelli -
Arthur Bennett - deceased lawyer, friend and enemy of Naomi
Lila - a pageant contestant who was murdered for her research
Sophia - :Lila's sister (blind)
Max - Sophia's best friend and guide dog
Hilda - a pageant contestant and medical researcher
Klaus - her older brother and protector
Angelo Carter - private investigator with a dark side
Carlos Hernandez - a Mexican landowner with power
Jose Hernandez - Carlos's son - a reckless playboy

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement