FanStory.com - In Vino Veritasby Terry Reilly
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The marriage feast at Cana comes to a different conclusion
In Vino Veritas by Terry Reilly
    How It Could Have Ended Contest Winner 

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

The feast was in full swing.

The bride and groom were lost within each other's loving eyes.

Elsewhere, a crisis was evolving.

Maintaining the celebratory atmosphere was dependent upon an unbroken flow of wine.

The bride's father was increasingly uncomfortable. He confided in the mother of Jesus:

"I've underestimated the number of guests. The wine has run out."

Mary, seeking to salvage the feast and spare her friend's blushes, alerted Jesus to the situation.

"My son, this is your moment to save this happy occasion and reveal a glimpse of your divinity."

Jesus turned his head and scanned the large room. He didn't like what he saw. Everywhere he looked

there was drunkenness, debauchery, lechery. Some people were staggering, some falling over, unable to stand up without help. In one corner, a man about his age was throwing up.

A fist fight was taking place in another corner of the room.

The din, thought Jesus, was highly unpleasant. High pitched voices shrieked and cackled. Lower tones bellowed and roared.

A man Jesus recognised and respected was screaming at his tearful wife, accusing her of infidelity.

"Have you considered, mother," replied the serious young man, "that the wine may have run out not because of its insufficient quantity but because it has been consumed to excess and with indecent haste? Should that be the case, would it be serving my Father's purpose were I to somehow miraculously replenish it?"

Mary felt she was being chastised, but she knew that her son was a very special being with a strong and honourable moral code, and was already becoming increasingly aware of his destiny and consequent responsibilities. She answered his question not with words but with a pleading look and beseeching eyes.

Jesus averted his gaze then closed his eyes. Mary knew he was praying to his Heavenly Father for guidance. When he opened his eyes his demeanour had changed. His mother could sense the tension in his body. He gathered his robe around him and strode to the middle of the room, pushing past all obstructions. An empty wooden crate which had previously contained bottles of wine would serve well as a platform from which to address the wedding guests. Jesus leaped athletically onto the
makeshift dais. Those nearest to him stopped what they were doing and stared up at the imposing figure. As the rest of the room gradually became aware of the elevated presence a hushed silence spread outwards like waves from a boulder dropped into a lake.

When Jesus had captured everyone's attention, he began to speak, clearly and authoritatively.

He radiated charisma. Without really understanding why, the wedding guests gave credence to his initially unwelcome observations and advice.

"This sacred occasion which should be marked by joyful, Godly celebration is at grave risk of being besmirched by licentiousness and debauchery. You are all good people. This I trust. But many of your actions today are sinful, threatening your reputations. And the cause? The consumption of alcohol, leading to disinhibition and foolishness. Perhaps even evil. I can only see this as the work of Satan.

The greatest prophet of them all, Isaiah, whom God preserve, not only foretold the coming of the son of God but warned against the dangers of drunkenness. These regrettable scenes today bear out the wisdom of his admonition. My friends, I urge you to go further. There is no more alcohol
available today. That is a blessing. You will surely regain your senses and your decorum as the toxin seeps out of your bodies, and the sanctity of this marriage feast will be regained. I beseech you to reject the fermented fruit of the grape, and barley too, not just for the rest of today, but forever.
Yes! I said forever! Alcohol should have no place in the life of a true servant of God. It is my will, and having already prayed for guidance I can confirm it is the will of our Lord, that moderation be recognised as an unrealistic goal given the frailty of mankind, and that henceforth abstinence be our collective aspiration."

As Jesus climbed down from the crate and returned to his mother's side the other guests found their voices once more. It was evident something astonishing, transformational, had occurred. The pervading atmosphere was very different. Calm, peaceful, loving. Couples embraced, pugnacious opponents shook hands, the language of interaction was conciliatory, remorseful, apologetic.


When those who attended the Marriage Feast at Cana looked back on that day in years to come, knowing then what they did not know at the time about the true status of the earnest, inspirational young man who opened their eyes, there were many who believed they had been present at the first miracle of the son of God. And it had nothing to do with alchemy.





Writing Prompt

Change the ending of a Bible story. You could give it a Disney ending, or make things go the other way. The fate of the ancient world is up to you. Fiction, 300-1000 words. You may use any style format except for nonfiction.
How It Could Have Ended
Contest Winner

Author Notes
So this outcome would have established abstinence from alcohol as a central tenet of Christian belief. How different would our lives have been as a consequence? Enriched? Impoverished? Largely unaffected? We will never know.

     

© Copyright 2024. Terry Reilly All rights reserved.
Terry Reilly has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement