FanStory.com - Unfinished Brushstrokesby Begin Again
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Love, Loss, New Beginnings and Secrets
Unfinished Brushstrokes
: Unfinished Brushstrokes by Begin Again
Write A Book In A Month contest entry

THE PROLOGUE

World War II had a way of forging connections in the most unlikely places. Amidst the chaos, destruction, and call of duty, love blossomed where it was least expected.

As spring arrived in France in 1944, blooming flowers and the lingering smoke of war filled the air. Eleanor, a highly skilled nurse who had recently lost her husband, concealed her grief in a makeshift hospital near Normandy. Her hands, though weary, worked with precision and care as she tended to the wounded soldiers. Each face she encountered bore the scars of battle, and each life she touched was a testament to her unwavering spirit.

It was there she met Charles, a dashing pilot with a mischievous smile and eyes bluer than the sky. He lay on a cot, his head and legs bandaged, and his bloodstained uniform tattered and torn. Despite the pain, he grinned as Eleanor approached.

"How are we feeling today, Lieutenant?" Eleanor asked, her voice gentle yet authoritative.

"Better now that you're here, Nurse," Charles replied, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

Their interactions were brief at first, mere exchanges of necessity. But as the days turned into weeks, a bond formed between them, unspoken yet undeniable. They found solace in each other's company, a reprieve from the horrors surrounding them. They bonded over their love for painting and spent hours sketching the peaceful countryside, trying to capture the beauty that still existed amidst the destruction created by the war. With each brushstroke, their connection deepened — a ray of light in the darkness of war.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky with hues of orange and pink, Charles found Eleanor sitting on the grassy slope outside the hospital. The distant rumble of battle faded into the background as he approached her. His heart pounded, not from fear, but from something far more profound.

"Eleanor," he began, his voice softer than she'd ever heard, "when this war is over, what do you dream of?"

She looked at him, her eyes reflecting the fading light of the setting sun. "I dream of a world where we can be free to live and love as we choose."

Charles reached for her hand, his touch gentle and reassuring. "Then let's make a promise. No matter where this war takes us, we'll find our way back to each other."

Tears welled in her eyes as she gazed into his, torn between her loyalty to her late husband and the man who had captured her heart. She hurried away, overwhelmed with guilt and unable to make the promise he needed.

She felt torn between conflicting emotions in her heart. Charles's words echoed in her mind, mingling with memories of her deceased husband. Late into the night, she grappled with guilt and longing, unsure of how to navigate the tangled web of love and loss. She longed to be back in Charles's arms, but her memories of what once was wouldn't release their hold on her.

The following day, she arrived at the hospital and discovered that they had shipped Charles back to England for further treatment. Heartbroken, she faced the abrupt and unresolved conclusion of their story.

In the quiet aftermath of her return to the United States, she accepted the stark reality of her life. Her husband, who had been her anchor before the war, died in action months before she met Charles. Her grief, still raw, engulfed her, making it difficult to reconcile the love she felt for Charles with the loss she had endured. To cope, she pushed her feelings for Charles behind a wall of denial, focusing on rebuilding her life from the fragments left by the war.

Soon, Eleanor discovered she was pregnant. Alone and with few options, she made the heart-wrenching decision to give her baby up for adoption. She wanted her child to have a chance at a better life, one she could not provide.

Charles, back in England, wrote letters that went unanswered. He, too, was a prisoner of his circumstances, bound by the responsibilities and expectations that awaited him.

Years later, Charles stood in his study, mesmerized by the painting on his wall. He traced the brushstrokes with his fingers, lingering on Eleanor's face, allowing a wistful smile to cross his lips. Despite the passing of time, their brief but intense love remained etched in his heart.

The flame within him never died despite the passing of time, distance, or Eleanor's silence. It flickered and dimmed but never ceased to exist. The memory of their love lived on in his heart. He often wondered if she remembered his promise to find his way back to her and if she might feel the same way.


Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement