FanStory.com - Stop the Boat.by Barry Penfold
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A rescue with a difference.
Stop the Boat. by Barry Penfold
True Humor Flash writing prompt entry
Artwork by World Travel Photos at FanArtReview.com

"Stop. Stop the boat."
Auntie Betty bounced from her seat in the middle of the boat. Clearly agitated, she confronted my father head on.
"Ernie, Trixie is swimming after us. We do not want her to drown."
"There are already six in the boat. We cannot fit her in. As a Labrador she is bred to swim. She will go back."
"Ern, stop the boat."
All five feet of Auntie stood tall, and she was not going to be appeased. I quickly looked to Dad. He turned and hit the ignition to off. The boat continued to glide through the water but slowed quickly.

Auntie was now in total control and, at the top of her voice yelled
"Come on Trixie, keep going, we are waiting. Come on."
All of us then joined the chorus with various calls of encouragement for Trixie. Even dad.
Auntie was plotting the appropriate rescue approach and soon instructed
"Okay, let's all move a bit to the starboard and take her into the boat on the port side. I will assist her from the water. Someone grab the towel. I will need it to wipe her down."

My auntie moved to the middle of the boat on the port side. Trixie, in the meantime, had feverishly dog paddled up to the boat.
Auntie quickly moved to her, and bending, placed her hands under the body of Trixie. With one huge lift and an "In you come." Trixie was into the boat.

One problem. Auntie was out.

"You might need the towel now Auntie" Dad suggested with a big smile.
Trixie looked on.

We all had a long laugh. To her credit, so did Auntie.




Writing Prompt
Brighten our day with a humorous true story. No poetry. 300 words max.

Recognized

Author Notes
I have many memories of time spent on the water. This one was a total hoot. Always brings a smile to my face.
Word Count 297.

     

© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement