FanStory.com - Life's Twisted Road - Chap 20by Begin Again
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Investigation Begins
Life's Twisted Road
: Life's Twisted Road - Chap 20 by Begin Again

END OF CHAPTER 19

"Take care, Audrey. Remember, I'm always here."
"Thank you so much." Audrey took her phone off speaker and disconnected the call. Relieved, she picked up her glass of wine, sighing. Maybe there could be a light at the end of the tunnel.

"If Jackson proves Dion is guilty of using drugs, the insurance will have to pay big time for Bobby's death. All our troubles will be over."

Having left the hospital, Jackson had returned to check on Audrey. Standing in the doorway, he couldn't believe what he'd heard. "Babe, everything alright? Who were you talking to on the phone?"

Enjoying her moment of revelation, Audrey hadn't heard him enter the house. At the sound of his voice, the wine glass fell from her hand as she spun around to face him. "Jackson! How long have you been standing there?"

*****


CHAPTER 20

Paddy's fingers strummed against the kitchen table, as he sat sipping a luke-warm cup of coffee. Amanda paced the floor, scrubbing the counter over and over. Isabella had been upstairs with Gabby for several hours.

"It's been quiet fohr sohme time, Paddy." Amanda moved closer to the stairs and listened. "I'm hopin' de lass is ahkay."

"Stop yooehr frettin. I'm sure Isabella wooehld call us if she needed 'elp."

"Ahh de lasses sobbin' was dreadfoehl, Paddy. Her heart muhst be brohken." Amanda poured herself a cup of the black brew and joined Paddy at the table, adding a spoonful of sugar from the jar.

Paddy reached across the table and patted Amanda's hand. "De man was a mahnster, but he was 'er father."

"I can't say muhch better fohr dat granddauhter o' Isabella's. Imagine findin' her 'home in soohch a mess."

Paddy nodded in agreement. "I cooehldn't believe 'ow de girl spohke to her grandmahther. She's suhch a kind wohman. She doesn't deserve it."

They both heard Isabella's footsteps on the stairs and ended their conversation as she joined them.

"Wooehld ya like a cuhp o' cahffee, Isabella?" Amanda pushed her chair back and headed toward the counter.

"No, thank you, Amanda. Gabby's resting. I've got things to attend to at home so I should be on my way. If you need me, please call," Isabella hugged her friend and then spoke to Paddy, "I'd appreciate a ride home, Paddy."

"Of course." He leaned over and planted a kiss on Amanda's cheek, grabbed his hat and opened the door for Isabella.

*****

Once home, Isabella opened the doors and windows, praying the fresh air would clear the foul smells from her home. She gathered up the broken lamp pieces and then continued, tossing out the beer cans, alcohol bottles, and half-eaten pizzas. She whispered a prayer of thanks for Paddy helping her move the furniture back into place. She could never have done it alone.

Once the cleaning was finished, she settled into her favorite chair, knowing the worst was yet to come. Sitting with Gabby and then coming home to the mess had taken its toll on her, but she knew she had to call Ava. It had to be done and it wouldn't be pleasant.

She listened and waited for her daughter, Ava, to answer the phone, regretting the second she heard her voice, loud and scolding.

"Mother, it's about time. I've been calling all day. Can't you answer your phone anymore?"

Isabella tried to remain calm, refusing to allow her daughter to get under her skin. It was a useless endeavor, but she tried. "I was out. I don't know if you've heard, but Gabby's dad was killed in an accident today. She needed someone to be with her."

Ava's answer dripped with sarcasm. "And of course, it had to be you." Isabella didn't take the bait, so Ava added, "She's got her own family; an aunt or something, right?"

"Ava, can you hear yourself? The girl has lost her mother and her father. I felt I could spare some time and sit with her."

Ava shifted into high gear. "While your own granddaughter is so upset, she had to take a sedative. I don't understand why you can be nice to other people, but not your own family."

"What are you talking about? Why would she need a sedative?" A foreboding crept over Isabella as she forced herself to ask, "What exactly did Natasha tell you?"

"She said you came home upset about something and started screaming at her and her friends. She was humiliated. Why would you do that?"

"Ava, my house was trashed."

"You're exaggerating. Nat admits the music was loud and they'd moved the couch so they could dance. Weren't you ever a kid?" Ava's voice was rising with each sentence. "No, don't answer. I know — children were taught to be seen, not heard." Ava's tone was cruel and piercing, each decimal higher than the first. "Respect, respect, respect!"

Isabella cringed and moved the phone away from her ear. She struggled to stand her ground. "She can do that in your home, but not mine. She's sixteen, Ava! They were drinking and smoking. My house smells worse than a bar."

"She told me you'd say that. She was crying hysterically saying you only care about Gabby. Why would you lie, mother?"

"Lie? I'm not lying, but you aren't going to believe me. There's no sense in me trying to talk to you." Isabella's shoulders sagged in despair.

"You're right but if it makes you happy, I've grounded her for skipping school and going to your house."

"That's a start, but will it stick?" Isabella sighed. "Never mind, she's your daughter, not mine. I'm going to let you go. Goodbye." The call disconnected. Isabella closed her eyes and tried not to think about Ava or Natasha and what the future might hold, but she knew that was all she could think about.

*****

Natasha stood near the front door, backpack in hand. "I'm leaving, mother."

"What? Did you forget you are grounded? Did you apologize to your grandmother?"

"For what? Did she call and tell you a bunch of lies, just like I told you she would? She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you. She's just old."

"She does, but because you asked, I'll send her a text and tell her I am sorry, okay?"

"Whatever!" Ava waved her away, returning to her laptop. "I just don't want to hear her complaining about it."

Natasha quickly typed her apology. "I'm sorry for upsetting you." She flipped her phone around, showing the screen to her mother. "See, I apologized."

Without even reading the text, she smiled. "Thank you. Now that wasn't that hard, was it?"

A car horn honked in the driveway. Natasha scurried across the room, hugged her mother, and headed toward the door. Remember, it's a slumber party. See you in the morning."

"Excuse me. I believe I said you were grounded." Ava shifted her eyes from her laptop and focused on her daughter. "Besides, why is this the first time I have heard about this slumber party."

Natasha made a pout face at her mother. "Really, Mom. Are you getting senile like grandma? I told you last week."

"I don't recall any mention of a slumber party." Ava grimaced at her daughter. "Are you sure?"

"It's at Peyton's house. A belated birthday party with a few girls. Her mom and dad will be home, and you know how churchy they are. We'll be fine."

"I suppose, but call me when you get there so I know you're alright, okay?"

The car horn blared once, twice, and three times. "I've gotta go."

"Bye. Don't forget to call me." The door slammed and Natasha was gone.

*****

Bright streaks of sunlight filtered through the slanted shades. The patient's eyes struggled to open and then clamped closed again.

Jackson sat in a nearby chair, patiently waiting for Judy to open her eyes. "Good morning, Judy. I'm glad to see you've found your way back to us."

"Is this a hospital?" Judy's eyes shifted around the room, stopping at Jackson. "Do I know you?" Her hand frantically patted the sheets in search of the call button. "What happened?"

"Calm down. It will all come back to you in time." Jackson stood and stepped to the side of the bed. "My name is Jackson and I'm the sheriff. You met me —."

"Oh God, you arrested, Bobby." Judy repeatedly pushed the call button, twisting and turning as her agitation grew. "Did he do something again? Where's Bobby? I want to see Bobby."

Two nurses entered the room. One administered a sedative in the IV and the other directed her attention at Jackson. "You've got to leave. The doctor told you not to upset her."

"I'm just trying to do my job. She's a witness."

"It will have to wait. She doesn't remember and until she does, no one, including you, will press her for answers. Have I made myself clear, Jackson?"

He growled, "Perfectly clear, Sis."

Once he cleared the doorway, Layla closed the door, leaving him on the outside looking in. "Man, that felt good."

Both nurses laughed as their attention returned to their patient.

Recognized

Author Notes
ISABELLA - Natasha's grandmother
DION - Star quarterback and Jason's best friend
JASON - Dion's best friend and teammate
COACH - the high school football coach and team counselor
GABBY - Jason's girlfriend and best friends with Natasha and Becky
BOBBY - Gabby's father
AUDREY - Bobby's sister and Gabby's Aunt
JUDY -THE BLONDE - Bobby's drinking date for the day
PADDY -THE JOGGER - A nice older Irish gentleman
AMANDA - Paddy's wife
LUCILLE LAKEWOOD - one of the arresting officers
CHARLIE - Department Manager for the Sheriff
JACKSON - the sheriff and the man dating Bobby's sister, Audrey
JUAN - Local pool boy and behind the scenes drug supplier
AUSTIN - semi driver and owner of Roscoe
ROSCOE - Austin's co-pilot, a German Shepherd
AL - a firefighter at the scene
TAYLOR - a town resident and mail carrier
ALEJANDRO - a local farmer
LAYLA - a registered nurse and Jackson's sister

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement