FanStory.com - Life's Twisted Road - Chap 15by Begin Again
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Fiery Conclusion
Life's Twisted Road
: Life's Twisted Road - Chap 15 by Begin Again

ENDING OF CHAPTER 14

Bobby's Ford rammed the Dodge's bumper, causing it to swerve violently. Dion's unsuspecting eyes flew to his rearview mirror, registering fear as he recognized the driver.

Dion gave his truck more gas, hoping to pull away from the crazed man behind him. Bobby did the same, slamming into the rear of the truck again. Dion fishtailed across the dividing line, narrowly missing an oncoming car. The other car's horn blared as the two trucks whizzed by, disappearing around another curve.

Dion's hands gripped the steering wheel as he fought to keep his vehicle on the road. His head violently rocked each time the other truck rammed into his vehicle. A searing pain shot through his neck into his brain. He grimaced, fighting to remain focused. He knew his life depended on it.

The wheels on the right side of the truck went off the road. Dion bit his lip hard, and a trickle of blood ran down his chin. He yanked the steering wheel violently, swerving as he brought the truck to the pavement.

As he rounded another sharp bend, he saw the semi-truck barreling toward him. A guttural moan escaped his throat as he prayed, "God, I don't want to die today."

Judy's hysterical screams reverberated inside the cab, but Bobby's attention remained fixed on the truck in front of him as his Ford inflicted another dangerous impact on Dion's truck.


**************************************



CHAPTER 15

Austin "Bear" Sinclair, born and raised in the Smokies, loved traveling the wide-open highways, listening to "Good Ole Boy" songs like Jerry Reed and "East Bound and Down" from Smokey and the Bandit. Reed's fingerpicking guitar reverberated off the cab's interior while Austin's stubby, calloused fingers played back-up, strumming the steering wheel. His constant companion, Roscoe, a German Shepherd, sat on the seat next to him with his safety harness attached.

Austin's voice was deep and offkey, but nothing stopped him from singing along with gusto. "Loaded up and truckin' and we gonna do what they say can't be done."

He'd hauled over-the-road freight for thirty-five years without a blemish on his driving record. A small gold charm dangled from the rear-view mirror commemorating twenty-five years with J.B. Hunt. His large barrel-like shoulders and huge hands earned him the nickname Bear, but his heart was pure 24K gold.

In a matter of seconds, Austin's life changed forever. The sound of squealing air brakes, grinding gears, and a shifting load echoed against the chiseled limestone hills. Chunks of rubber flew into the air, bouncing off the pavement. As two dueling pickup trucks approached his rig, he'd calculated the distance, roughly five hundred feet. It would be impossible to stop. The narrow highway and rough terrain left him without an exit.

Without thinking, his hand reached over to Roscoe. "Hold on, boy." Then, he silently prayed for a miracle.


*********************************

Audrey's day had gone from bad to worse. At 7 AM, she'd punched in at work and found a letter waiting at her post. As she ripped it open, she glanced around and saw co-workers doing the same. A string of curse words and banging traveled from one station to the next.

Jenny, the outspoken one, shook the letter in the air. "Can you believe it? They had me work overtime this weekend to get the job done, and on Monday they laid us off." She grabbed her jacket and headed toward the door, "I'm out of here. Headed for the bar if anyone's interested."

Audrey chose not to join the group at the bar. Drinking at 7 AM didn't sound like an answer to her problem. Instead, she'd decided to pick up some grocery items at the corner store, stop at her house to change clothes, and then check on Bobby, hoping his bail wouldn't be too much.

An envelope was taped to her front door. Without opening it, her throat tightened, and she collapsed into the porch chair, frustration written all over her face. She crumpled the envelope in her hand and pitched it across the porch. The sender - Midtown Mortgages - told her everything she needed to know. They were foreclosing on her house.

What seemed like hours later, she'd called the station asking about Bobby's bail. She had no idea where or how she'd get enough money, but it was her duty as his sister. Learning he'd been bailed out, she felt momentarily relieved till she thought of Gabby. She needed to get to her first. Sober or not, Bobby wasn't going to be a happy man.

When Gabby didn't answer her phone, she checked Bobby's house. There was no sign of the teenager or her dad. The red blinking light on the phone told her someone had called. She listened and learned Gabby wasn't in school either. The next obvious thing to do was find Natasha and Becky. The three musketeers were probably skipping school together. She decided to start at their clubhouse — Isabella's house.

As she walked up the sidewalk, Audrey stopped, alarmed. Her eyes darted around the yard. Isabella's white front door was marred with shoe prints and splinters. She hesitated. Should she call Jackson? About to leave, she noticed the drape move.

Someone was in the house. What if Isabella needed help? She couldn't walk away.

Audrey surveyed the yard for some sort of weapon. She chose one of the small shepherd hooks. Armed, she moved closer, then stopped. Was that rock music blaring behind the door? Maybe Gabby was feeling better after all. Or more likely, Isabella was gone, and teenage girls were enjoying themselves.

She tapped on the door. The music stopped, but no one answered the door. She tapped again, slightly louder this time. Receiving no answer, she used her fist, pounding on it. "Hello, I know someone is in there."

The door opened and shock registered on Audrey's face. Her right foot took a step forward, but Natasha blocked the entryway. Audrey's jaw dropped as she took in the scene unfolding in front of her.

The glassy-eyed teenager smiled, totally oblivious to the vape she held in her hand. Audrey peered over Natasha's shoulder. Her view was obstructed but not enough to hide the beer bottles on the hall table. Or the reflection in the mirror.

"Looks like you've got a party going on?"

"No, no party, just me letting off steam." A muffled sneeze contradicted the just me.

"What you're allowed to do in your own home, isn't my business, but Gabby is. I'd like to see her."

Natasha pursed her lips and ran her tongue across them. Her mouth was dry. "I haven't seen Gabby for days. She's okay, right?"

"Nat, don't lie to me. I know she stayed here this weekend." Audrey peered around her. "Shouldn't you be in school? I know you aren't here alone."

"We're off for uh —Presi—"

Like magic, Becky appeared, peeking over Natasha's shoulder. She laughed, "Hi, Audrey. Natasha's being goofy. It's parent-teacher conferences."

"Hmmm, I guess Bobby forgot to mention it. I usually attend in his place." Without warning, both girls gasped, their stoned look now compounded by fear. Natasha tried to push the door closed, but Audrey's foot prevented it.

"Please don't tell, Audrey." Natasha's finger poked out the door, pointing toward the street. "My grandmother and mom will freak."

Jackson's cruiser moved past Isabella's house, stopping when he saw Audrey. He called through the open car window. "Everything okay?"

She muttered, "Party's over, understood?" She glared at the girls, hoping to emphasize the fact. They both nodded.

Reluctantly, she hastened down the sidewalk toward Jackson. She leaned into the open window. "I heard Bobby made bail. I thought Gabby might be hiding, but no luck."

"You got the day off?" Jackson quizzed.

A frown wrinkled Audrey's face as she spoke, "Something like that."

Jackson picked up on her nervousness. "Come on. I'll buy you a cup of coffee." Audrey managed a weak smile. She glanced back at the house and then climbed into the cruiser.

The girls and Juan watched from the window, praying Audrey wouldn't mention them. Satisfied, they turned the music up again and returned to their party.

********************************

Jackson parked the cruiser outside Chuck's Diner. "Is this okay or would you like to go somewhere quieter to talk?"

"There's just a lot happening. You know with Bobby, Gabby, the house and work. My head's in overdrive."

"Let me help —" Jackson's cell phone rang. "I'm sorry. It's Lakewood. She might need something."

"Go ahead. After all, I understand about your work."

He leaned across the seat and kissed her cheek. "We'll talk tonight. I promise."

She opened the car door and stepped out. "Yeah, tonight." She waved and moved to the curb.

The sheriff answered his phone, "Jackson here. What's up?"

"Just pulled up on a bad accident on State Highway 101. A semi and a pickup truck. Called for backup and emergency services. I think you better get out here. It's just past Mile Marker 24." Lucille hesitated before adding, "I recognize Bobby's truck. It's not pretty."

Jackson's eyes shifted to Audrey as he asked, "Any casualties?"

"I'm just getting out of my car now, but I'd be surprised if there weren't." Lucille ran toward the vehicles.

Jackson turned on his lights and siren and backed into the street. "I'm on my way."

The image of Audrey standing on the curb flashed through his head. She'd looked so sad and miserable. "What if —"

Jackson shoved the thought from his head. He was on duty and his personal life had to wait. He pushed the gas pedal to the floor and raced toward Mile Marker 24.

Recognized

Author Notes
CHARACTERS:
ISABELLA - Natasha's grandmother
DION - Star quarterback and Jason's best friend
GABBY - Jason's girlfriend and best friends with Natasha and Becky
BOBBY - Gabby's father
AUDREY - Bobby's sister and Gabby's Aunt
JUDY -THE BLONDE - Bobby's drinking date for the day
PADDY -THE JOGGER - A nice older Irish gentleman
AMANDA - Paddy's wife
LUCILLE LAKEWOOD - one of the arresting officers
CHARLIE - Department Manager for the Sheriff
JACKSON - the sheriff and the man dating Bobby's sister, Audrey
JUAN - Local pool boy and behind the scenes drug supplier
AUSTIN - semi driver and owner of Roscoe
ROSCOE - Austin's co-pilot, a German Shepherd

     

© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement