FanStory.com - Rhythm of Natureby June Sargent
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A haibun
Rhythm of Nature by June Sargent



I could not believe that another school shooting had taken place. Three adults and three children had been killed in an elementary school in Nashville. The shooter herself was killed 14 minutes later by police.

Have I been a little anxious lately? Yes. I feel for all the victims and their families.

After a restless night of tossing and turning, I heard this morning a familiar tap, tap, tap across the street. Woody, our neighborhood woodpecker, was back! After they trimmed down his favorite tree, we thought for sure he would move on. But he not only returned, but he brought a mate with him!

And the world that had been reeling slightly off its axis felt like it was trying to return to normal.


The rhythm of life,

when interrupted by man,

will always resume.


Author Notes
A haibun is a Japanese form of poetry that contains prose describing a scene or situation, followed by a haiku that sums up the story.

     

© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement