FanStory.com - The Beach at Normandyby jmdg1954
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
June 6, 1944
The Beach at Normandy by jmdg1954


 
 
 
 
OPERATION OVERLORD

Daylight… Allies invade German occupied France’s, Normandy coast. Amphibious assault begins. First and fifth soldier safely out of landing craft, those in between, shot or killed. Yearlong preparations significantly thwarted. 

Screams and horror fill the air. Soldiers lie in pools of blood soaking the sand as enemy bombs explode. Bullets fly inflicting substantial casualties on landing U.S. troops. German artillery unexpectedly strong. 

With no shelter from enemy fire, further craft landings were suspended. 

Battle-hardened soldiers follow orders and march forward against intense firepower.  

Day turns to night, then back to day. No rest until the objective is achieved. 


Recognized

Author Notes
I watched with my son for probably the 8th time, Saving Private Ryan over the weekend.

When the movie first came out, he asked his grandfather where he was that day. Fortunately he was stationed somewhere in England away from the combat. His other question was if he had a buzz-cut? Kids are amazing.

I wanted a little practice writing a short flash piece. This is what I came up with.

     

© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement