FanStory.com - The Farewell VIIIby Kaiku
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life
The Farewell
: The Farewell VIII by Kaiku

SCENE VIII

(In Scene VII Dan was the seventh of nine to visit their father) 
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular, is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Door opens, Tim enters closing the door behind him.  Makes eye
contact with his dad.  Both smile.  Walking over, Tim sits down softly
but firm in posture.  Father is relaxed but tired.
 
TIM softly.
HEY DAD.
 
Father smiles and gently nods with acknowledgement
Tim continues.
 
GRACE AND MINDY SEND THEIR LOVE.
 
FATHER a tired voice.
YOU TELL THEM HELLO FOR ME.
 
TIM a bit lost.
HOW`D YOU DO IT DAD?  I MEAN, HOW DID YOU
MANAGE EVERYTHING OVER THE YEARS?
 
FATHER eyes on Tim.
A LITTLE LUCK I SUPPOSE.  BUT MOSTLY BEING FOCUSED
ON WHAT WAS IMPORTANT.  COMMITTED IN EVERYTHING I DID.
A FEW PRAYERS DIDN`T HURT EITHER.
 
TIM hesitantly.
ARE YOU READY?  ARE YOU READY TO SEE GOD?
 
FATHER looking at his hands folded on his lap
I THINK SO.  Then looking up.
I HOPE HE`S READY TO SEE ME.
 
A soft chuckle by both- continuing.
 
YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE THE GOOD LORD
IS LOOKING OUT FOR YOU
 
TIM nervously.
I`M NOT READY FOR THIS.  FOR YOUR DEATH. 
 
A pause of 30 seconds or so.  Tim and his father
are reflecting.
 
FATHER a counseling voice.
REMEMBER THE BOOK, THE GREATEST SALESMAN ON EARTH?
 
Tim nods.
 
IF THERE IS ONE PASSAGE OR SCROLL TO REMEMBER FROM THAT BOOK
IT`S…GREET EACH DAY WITH LOVE IN YOUR HEART.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE VIII
 
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
TIM- 42, married, 1 child, athletic, College degree, handsome, charming, creative, manipulative, pianist, aloof, bi-polar.  The youngest.
 
 
SCENE – 8B
 
(Nancy, Peggy, Carol, and Dan are sitting around the dining room table. Rest of the siblings are scattered about the house or outdoors. Tim is with his dad)
 
Setting:  Dining room sits just adjacent to the living room.  Long table with high-backed chairs on the ends, and bench seating on the sides. A cabinet holding crystal, dishware, etc. sits snugly against the end wall. Visitation and funeral arrangements are being discussed and legal matters.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
PEGGY very calmly and with purpose. 
THOUGHT WE MIGHT JUST TAKE A MINUTE TO GO OVER A FEW THINGS. THESE NEXT FEW DAYS WILL BE SOMEWHAT HECTIC AND IF WE CAN ALL BE ON THE SAME PAGE THEN EVERYTHING WILL GO SMOOTHLY.  IS THIS OK WITH YOU MOM?
 
NANCY keen-eyed and attentive.
OF COURSE.  YOUR FATHER AND I HAVE PLANNED THIS OUT. GO AHEAD PEGGY.
 
PEGGY tablet in hand.
THIS IS WHAT MOM HAS PLANNED.  I`LL SHARE THIS WITH THE GROUP A LITTLE BIT LATER BUT JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE WE`VE COVERED ALL THE BASES.  (Posturing up a bit and proceeds) ALL THE FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS ARE WITH FREDERICH`S FUNERAL HOME.  MOM HAS PICKED OUT A SUIT.  MOM WANTS TO ALLOW THE KIDS TO PLACE SOME KIND OF PERSONAL MOMENTO IN THE COFFIN WITH DAD.  JUST SOMETHING SMALL.  A COUPLE DAYS HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED FOR VISITATION.  ONE WILL BE USED.  WE EXPECT QUITE A SHOWING. IT WILL BE IN THE EVENING FROM 5PM TO 8PM.  CHURCH SERVICE WILL BE HELD AT ST. RAPHAEL WITH THE BURIAL AT SACRED HEART CEMETERY IN BENSENVILLE.  THE CHURCH SERVICE WILL START AT 10AM WHEN THAT DAY ARRIVES.  PROCESSION TO SACRED HEART AND BURIAL TO IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW.  THE NAVY WILL BE PROVIDING A FLAG FOLDING CEREMONY AND TAPS IN HONOR OF DAD. (pause) HOW AM I DOING MOM?
 
NANCY approvingly.
SOUNDS GOOD SO FAR.
 
PEGGY continues.
AS FAR AS CHURCH SERVICE:  READINGS HAVE BEEN PICKED OUT.  MARIANNE AND MIKE WILL GIVE THE EULOGY.  DAN AND MARTHA WILL SING AND TIM WILL BE AT THE PIANO.  PALLBEARERS WILL BE MIKE, KEVIN, DAN, TIM, JERRY, AND JIM.  WE`RE STILL LOOKING FOR A SONG TO END THE CEREMOMY. I THINK KEVIN HAS AN IDEA ON ONE. HE`LL GO OVER IT WITH MOM. (Short pause) IT`S SUMMERTIME SO I DON`T ANTICIPATE WEATHER WILL BE AN ISSUE. MOTHER HAS BEEN ADAMANT ABOUT PROVIDING HOTEL ROOMS FOR IMMEDIATE FAMILY WHEN THE TIME COMES. A FEW OF US CAN STAY AT THE HOUSE BUT WE ARE LIMITED ON SPACE. I`VE CHECKED AROUND AND ROOMS SHOULDN`T BE A PROBLEM…QUESTIONS?
 
CAROL quickly.
NOTHING FROM ME. SOUNDS GOOD.
 
DAN 
GREAT WORK PEGGY.  AND MOM, YOU AND DAD HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SO ORGANIZED EVEN IN A TIME LIKE THIS.  COUPLE THINGS (looking at Peggy) DAD`S STILL WITH US, HOWEVER, PROBABLY NOT MUCH LONGER…WHAT KIND OF TIMELINE HAVE YOU CONSIDERED UPON HIS PASSING? WHO WILL REACH OUT TO EXTENDED FAMILY AND HAS AN OBITUARY BEEN PENCILED YET? 
 
PEGGY understandingly.
GOOD QUESTIONS. GLAD YOU ASKED. UPON DAD`S PASSING WE HAVE PLANNED FOR ABOUT A WEEK TO TEN DAYS TO BRING FULL CLOSURE. CAROL, MARIANNE AND I WILL REACH OUT TO EXTENDED FAMILY AND OF COURSE I SUSPECT ALL THE SIBLINGS WILL PARTICIPATE. AS FAR AS THE OBITUARY, MOM HAS CREATED AN OUTLINE BUT WOULD LOVE YOUR INPUT. YOU`RE SUCH A GOOD WRITER. WOULD THAT BE OK?
 
DAN nodding.
OF COURSE IT WOULD. I`D LIKE NOTHING MORE. ONE LAST THING FROM ME…MOM, I TOLD DAD BUT I MIGHT NOT HAVE MENTIONED IT TO YOU. (enthusiastically) DAD`S NBA PENSION WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO YOU UPON HIS DEATH.  IT`S NOT MUCH BUT IT SHOULD BUY YOU A BEER AND BURGER NEXT TIME YOU`RE IN IRELAND.
 
Everyone chuckles and Mother smiles approvingly.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE
 

Nancy- 77, Peggy- 60, Carol- 51, Dan- 47
 

Author Notes
Forgive my use of CAPS. Lots of side commentary that I didn`t want confused for conversation.

Tim had a tough time dealing with his father`s death.

Peggy is super organized.

Peggy is extremely organized as well as Carol. Dan is being the lawyer in the family. Mom and Dad planned well.

Arrangements will be shared with the family after their father`s passing.

     

© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement