FanStory.com - Change of Plans (Miranda)by GWHARGIS
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Heading to meet Dougie
The Miranda Chronicles
: Change of Plans (Miranda) by GWHARGIS

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
So far, Miranda Jessup Buckley has been jilted, fired and left to take care of her ex-lover's child.   After a pleasant lunch date with Mitch, she gets an onimous text from her ex-lover.  He wants to meet at midnight to disclose what he knows about Missy Toblerone.  But something tells Miranda this might be a ploy.
 
 
 
             ********************
 
I grip the steering wheel of my car tightly.  Both hands suddenly clammy.  What am I thinking?  Dragging a kid with me like he's going to protect me.  I should be protecting him.  
 
But, after we both buckle up, I back out of my yard and head down to the main road.  
 
If it's Dougie's truck in the lot behind the Piggly Wiggly, I'll get out of the car and talk to him.  It makes me wonder what he knows and how he happened upon this information.  As far as I know, he visited her and hit her up for some money for that get rich quick scheme.  
 
I shudder to think of the two of them "negotiating".  I've seen her in action.  And it ain't pretty.
 
I can see the lights of the town just up ahead, but no cars are to be seen.  The town pretty much shuts down after ten at night.  All but Llarado's Gentlemen's Club.  
 
"What do you think Dad wants?"
 
"No idea.  Said he had some information for me," I say, leaving out the part where he feared for his safety.
 
Waylon turns to look out of his window.  "His texts were kinda weird."
 
"Oh yeah?  How so?"
 
"Well, he spelled my name wrong.  He said "Waylin, this is your dad.  Where is Miranda?  I need to talk to her."
 
"Do me a favor and look back from the beginning of this stream of contact.  Did he ever ask how you were?"
 
Waylon's profile glows in the blue light of his phone.  He shakes his head.  "No."
 
"Doesn't he usually?"
 
"Yeah.  He usually asks me about the girls I go to school with.  Like if I say one is hot, he'll ask if she has an older sister."  Waylon smiles.
 
I look away so he can't see my lip curling.  "Of course he does."
 
The sign for the Piggly Wiggly comes into view.  My stomach tightens and I clench the steering wheel tighter.  
 
This is a set up, or maybe an ambush.  I can't go back there.  Not with Waylon in the car.  
 
"There it is," Waylon says as I drive by.
 
"I don't think it was your dad texting you.  I've got a bad feeling about this."
 
He looks over, and I sense his disappointment.  He was looking forward to seeing his dad.
 
"I'm sorry, kid, but my gut is telling me to get us the hell out of here."
 
I turn down a side street and make a u-turn to head home.  
 
"It's my dad texting."  He holds up the phone to show me.
 
"Tell him to call you."
 
Waylon types into his phone.  He waits.  No call comes through only the texting notification sounds.
 
"He wants to know where you are?"
 
I certainly don't want whoever this is to know I'm tooling around town.  But I don't want anyone waiting for us when we get home.
I have one place I can go and we'll be safe.
 
"Text back that we're home."
 
"But we aren't.   Suppose Dad needs us?"
 
"He's a grown man.  He'll be fine."
 
I pass the trailer park and hop onto the bypass.  I hope Momma is still awake.  
 
I can see the lights in the den through the window as I pull to a stop in front of my childhood home.
 
"Where are we?" Waylon sits up in his seat and studies the small brick rancher.  
 
"This is where I grew up.  We are going to take refuge here for the night.  That cool? You can meet my momma.  You'll like her."
 
He unbuckles his seatbelt and grunts.
 
"Is she gonna pinch my cheeks?"
 
"Only if you want her to."
 
I'm about to knock when the porch light pops on.  She sure doesn't miss anything.
 
"Well, Miranda Lynn, what are you doing out this late at night?"
 
I lean in and kiss her cheek.  "Are you up for a sleepover?"
 
Her eyes settles on Waylon.  "Dating 'em a little young, are we?"
 
I know his cheeks are crimson without having to look at him.  "This is Dougie's boy, Waylon."
 
"You have school tomorrow? " she asks, herding us into the house.  "Go lie down on that couch and pull that afghan off the back of it.  I'll go find you a pillow."
 
After we get Waylon settled, I follow momma into the kitchen.  She puts water on for tea, then turns and waits for an explanation.   "What's going on?  You look scared."
 
"I'm not scared.  I'm being cautious."
 
"Of what?"
 
"I don't want to alarm you.  I might be overreacting."
 
Momma rolls her eyes and let's go a little huff.  "Shit, Miranda, you and a child show up at close to one a.m. and you don't want to alarm me.  Too late for that.  What's going on?"
 
"I think I might be in danger."
 
"From who?"
 
"Missy."
 
She narrows her eyes.  "Nothing good comes from tangling with that girl."
 
I look around.  I know I've probably compromised my mother's safety just by showing up here.  But I had no other choice.  I think Waylon and I would be sitting ducks if we went back to the trailer.
 
The kettle whistles on the stove, and as my momma goes to move it off the burner, I hear Waylon call my name.
 
He runs into the kitchen.  "Okay, this definitely isn't my dad."  He hands over the phone.  It's open to Dougie's last text.
 
          No one's home you lying 
           bitch.
 
 
To be continued ....
 

Author Notes
This is part of a larger body of work.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement