FanStory.com - White Wolvesby scongrove
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series
White Wolves by scongrove

A few miles from the restaurant, Jace parked the Jeep under a covered parking lot where Tessa rented a loft apartment on a busy stretch of East Avenue in Berkeley. Close by were a few coffee shops, clothing stores, and other specialty shops that attracted mostly out-of-towners and sightseers. The second he climbed out of the vehicle, he trotted to the passenger’s side and opened the door for Tessa. She took hold of his outstretched hand and guided him upstairs to the top level.

“Believe it or not,” Tessa began as she unlocked the door and led Jace through the opening, “back in the late 1800s, this building used to be a bank.”

Jace shrugged. “Seriously?”

Tessa nodded. “For years, it was left vacant until someone bought it and decided to turn it into an apartment building. There’s even a vault still in the basement. When the original owner put the building up for sale, Gina’s dad purchased it. That’s how I landed the top level. And the rent is very reasonable for the size.”

“Lucky you,” he said, stepping inside. “I’d love to have a place of my own.”

She arched a brow. “You don’t still live with your parents, do you?”

“No,” he replied with a light chuckle. “I sort of have a few roommates. You’ve met some of them already. My brother Jem and the guys in the band. And thank goodness we all have our own bedrooms with bathrooms.” He huffed, rolling his eyes. “There’s no way in hell I’d share a bathroom with those guys, especially Kyle. He’s the typical bachelor. To be blunt, he’s a slob. However, Jem and Casey aren’t too bad. They keep their stuff fairly tidy.”

“Oh, I see. You must have a huge place if you guys have your own rooms and bathrooms.”

“Yeah, I guess you could say it’s big enough,” he said, realizing soon he’d have to come clean about the Breedline Covenant and all the occupants residing there.

“And I know all too well what it feels to have roommates,” Tessa went on to say. “This is actually my first place without having to share with other people.”

“How long have you lived here?”

“A little over five years.”

“And all this time,” he said with a coy smile, “here you were, living under my radar. If only we’d crossed paths sooner.”

“I know, right?” she said, smiling back. 

As Jace gave the spacious living area a look-over, his eyes widened in amazement. There was an open kitchen with stainless steel appliances, white cabinets, black granite countertops, and wooden stools placed underneath a small bar. Beyond the kitchen was a living room area that had vaulted ceilings, wooden beams, and exposed brick. There was a leather, oversized sectional, two matching, multicolored wingback chairs, a glass coffee table, and a wall with nothing but shelves jammed-packed with books and picture frames. In the corner of the room, he saw a few thriving potted plants, a desk with a computer, and a chair. Across the room, there was a large wooden easel covered by a white sheet and a canvas tarp protecting the hardwood floor. Set up next to the easel; he noticed a round table. It had several jars of paint and an assortment of paintbrushes.

“This is really nice,” Jace said, turning in a half-circle as his eyes roamed the apartment. “I like the openness to the place.” Then, he pointed toward the covered easel. “So, you working on something new?”

“Thanks,” she said. “And yes. I painted it after we first met.”

“Really?” He raised a speculative brow. “Can I see?”

“Actually, I painted it for you.”

Both his eyebrows shot up. “For real?”

She nodded and reached for his hand. “Come. I’ll show you.”

As soon as he took hold of her hand, she led him to the easel and said, “It’s perfectly fine if you don’t want it. You won’t hurt my feelings.”

“Why wouldn’t I want it?” He cocked his head to the side, looking at her with a serious expression. “Don’t tell me.” His lips curled up. “It’s not a nude painting of you, is it?”

Tessa laughed and squeezed his hand. “You wish.”

“True,” he said, batting his brows. “So, if it’s not a painting of you in your birthday suit, what is it? The suspense is killing me.”

Tessa released his hand and reached for the sheet that covered the painting. The moment she tugged it away, the images on the canvas took Jace’s breath. It was a beautiful painting of two white wolves with pale blue eyes. The four-legged animals were so lifelike, so majestic, not to mention familiar. They were the spitting images of his and Jem’s Breedline wolves.

“Do you like it?”

“I-I…” he muttered, seemingly lost for words. Then, he faced her with tears in his eyes. “I love it, Tessa.”

“You do?” she asked, looking relieved.

He reached for her hand and pulled her close. “It’s beautiful. But what made you choose to paint them?”

“Well, I have another confession to make. If I tell you, I hope it’s not going to make me sound like a fruit cake.”

“I happen to love fruit cake,” he said playfully, although his words sounded genuine.

She laughed again. “Then I guess I can safely tell you.”

“You can tell me anything, Tessa.”

“You know the three paintings of the black wolves that you purchased at the art gallery?” When he nodded, she continued, “The reason I painted those particular wolves is ever since I was a little girl, I’ve dreamed of a black wolf with red eyes.” She wearily shook her head. “Before you say anything, I know it sounds weird. But it’s like the she-wolf,” she paused and grimaced. “And don’t ask me how I know it’s a female. I know that seems strange, too. It’s hard to explain, but for some odd reason, I just know. Anyway, it’s like she’s trying to tell me something or maybe warn me somehow.” Then, she exhaled a sigh. “My therapist thinks the wolf represents me. She said maybe it’s my way of longing for the love I never received from my biological parents. Like, I’m waiting for their approval or something. It all sounds crazy, right?”

“No, Tessa.” He shook his head, his features shown without judgment. “It doesn’t sound crazy at all. But what do you think the white wolves represent?”

She shrugged. “I don’t really know. I was just drawn to paint them the day after we met. And since you seem to really like the other three, I thought you’d want to add this one to your collection.”

“Are you kidding?” he said. “How could I not? It’s amazing. You’re amazing, Tessa.”

“You really think so?”

He bobbed his head, keeping his eyes focused intently on hers. Then, he swallowed his nerves and said, “Hey, Tessa?”

“Yeah?”  

“Can I kiss you?”

“Y-Yes,” she said, blinking nervously.

He lowered his face, then reached out to cup her chin. Gently, he tilted it up so that their eyes met perfectly. He ran his thumb softly along her jawline and then pressed his lips to hers. Although the kiss was brief, lasting only a minute or so, it was electric… world-stopping… heart-throbbing…

The moment he pulled back a little, he pressed his forehead to hers and exhaled.

“Tessa?”

“Y-Yeah?”

“You know how much I like you, right?”

“Yes,” she bashfully answered.

“That’s why I should go.”

She instantly lifted her chin. “W-What?” she said, looking at him disappointed. “Why?”

“Please…” He placed a hand against her face. “Hear me out, Tessa. You see, I think you’re pretty damn special. And I’m not looking for a one-nighter or a casual fling. Not anymore, anyway. Hell, I’m just going to be straight up with you and cut through the bullshit. Tessa… I’m falling for you.” He kept his eyes locked on hers, weighing his next choice of words. He knew without a doubt if they made love, she would shift into her Breedline wolf. And now was not the time to confront her with the truth, realizing it was too soon. 

“I’ve never met anyone like you,” he continued to explain. “You make me feel things I’ve never felt before. And I don’t want to mess that up. Believe me,” he heaved out a deep breath, “it’s hard enough to keep myself from sweeping you off your feet caveman style and—” He visibly swallowed, his eyes flickering between Tessa and a doorway that more than likely led to her bedroom, debating his decision against ravishing her body. “Sweetheart, what I’m trying to say is it’s killing me not to make love to you right now. My entire body aches to be with you. But I want to know everything about you first. And I want you to get to know me. The real me. You deserve no less. I can wait for you, Tessa, even if it ends up being the death of me. I want to do this right. Take it slow. Is that okay with you?”

His words made her smile on the inside. Then, she smiled for real. “Yes,” she finally said. “And honestly, your decision to wait is very honorable, not to mention impressive. But I’m not going to lie. It will probably be the death of me, too.”

He let out a chuckle, then kissed her forehead. “Sounds like we’ll both be in agony, but it’s definitely worth it.” He gave her hand a quick squeeze. “You’re worth it, Tessa.”

They stood in silence, staring at one another for what seemed an eternity, although it had only been a few minutes. Finally, he released her hand. “I better get going. I’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

Tessa nodded, then watched as he moved toward the door. “Good night, Jace.”

He looked over his shoulder and smiled. “Night, Tessa.” 

To be continued. . .

Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I'm rewriting my first book, and I'd appreciate your feedback. If you're interested in previous chapters, you can go to my profile and read them on Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series. I hope you enjoy it!

 


Author Notes
A reference for terms and cast of characters for this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A secret species of humans created to protect humanity. Born with an identical twin, they have the power to shapeshift into wolves. They are not like the old legend of the lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines, born with an identical twin, shift into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedline twins do not go through the change until they make love to their bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have the power to shapeshift into wolves, born with a strong, unbreakable bond. They share telepathic abilities with the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species' population.

Jace Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species who is an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos. He has bonded with Tessa Fairchild.

Jem Chamberlain - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild - An inspiring artist who has no idea about the Breedline species. She was raised by her aunt and uncle when her parents disappeared when she was a baby. For years, she's had mysterious dreams of a black wolf, and now, she has started to include them in her paintings. After she meets Jace Chamberlain, she has an overwhelming connection with him that she cannot explain.

Gina Farrow - She is Tessa's best friend and art agent.

Kyle Jones - He is a Breedline species that reside in the California Covenant. He's a mechanic and plays bass in the rock band Chaos.

Casey Barton - He is a Breedline and lives in the California Covenant. He is a clothing model and plays backup bass and keyboards in the band Chaos.

     

© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement