FanStory.com - Double, Double Toil and Troubleby Sarah Robin
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A student learns to be a teacher.
Double, Double Toil and Trouble by Sarah Robin
My Best High School Memory contest entry
Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

“Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn and caldron bubble”
These were the first words from our English teacher’s introduction to Shakespeare’s Macbeth.

 She placed a yard stick in the garbage can and stirred it as she spoke.  Miss Hazel Stevenson was a magnificent teacher.  I am not sure I thought so at the time.  We had  tons of memory work and papers to write every week.  I thought surely she would run out of red ink correcting the stories and poems I wrote.

But we learned!  And I credit her for teaching me to appreciate reading and writing.


Fast forward sixty years. I teach people to play bridge. The double is the most important bid a player can make.  There are penalty doubles, take-out doubles, negative doubles, and more. I always start my doubles class with Miss Stevenson’s chant.  The students learn all of them while agreeing that they are toil and trouble.
 

     

© Copyright 2024. Sarah Robin All rights reserved.
Sarah Robin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement