FanStory.com - Meeting Abbieby Mary Vigasin
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The sad past of Abbie
Meeting Abbie by Mary Vigasin

Meeting her for the first time at the graduation party, I was charmed by her. She was tall and beautiful, but then I heard her story, and now I am haunted by her life.

After having nine litters, Abbie was placed in an animal shelter by her breeder when she got too old to breed. My sister and her husband adopted Abbie.

When my sister got her, she had never been in a home or had a family.
At nine years old, she is a large white poodle used to breed Goldendoodles, which I am told sell for $2500 a puppy.

During the first week in the home, she panicked and ran out of the house. She was lost in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The local Humane Society led a search for a week, concerned that she would not survive due to the wildlife in the area and the freezing temperatures.

Each night they set a large trap with bait in the area where she was last seen. Without success, until someone suggested they use a smaller trap with no bait. Abbie entered the smaller trap the first night it was set up.

She was easy to catch with the smaller trap because she had been raised in a similar cage and felt safe inside.

What is left is a dog terrified of life and her surroundings; she walks around with her tail between her legs and does not want to leave my sister's side.

Abbie is gentle and friendly; any sudden movement or sound frightens her, so she is kept on her lead while in public.

The hope was that she would bond with the other large poodle dog in the house to help her adjust to home life, but that has not happened, at least not after three months in her forever home.

Recognized

Author Notes
The picture is about as close as I could find that looks like Abbie, except she is white.
She will not go near my brother-in-law, I believe not because he is male but because he has a loud, booming voice.
I hope they have patience with Abbie.

     

© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement