FanStory.com - Angel Wingsby scongrove
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series
Angel Wings by scongrove

After breakfast, which consisted of chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs, Jem and Jace changed out of their pajamas and into denim shorts, and matching t-shirts with dinosaurs printed on the front. As soon as they were dressed, they hurriedly slipped on their tennis shoes. Before they rushed toward the door that led to the back yard, they snugly secured the ballcaps over their heads that were given to them by Officer Terry O’Brien. The minute they made it outside, they saw John and Sarah, John’s mother Mary, and the two officers Sam and Terry, gathered by the koi pond. The little beagle and the gray kitten were close by, lounging underneath a shade tree.   

The boys moved next to John, nearly skipping with excitement. He noticed how at ease they seemed, acting just as two four-year-old boys should. Fearless and full of adventure. Now if he could only get Jace to talk. Both boys had experienced far too much sadness and loss at far too young an age. And hopefully, after they were made aware of their mother, things wouldn’t take a turn for the worse. He could only pray.

Jem peered up at John with his eyes squinted against the sun. “Can I help you feed the fishes?”

“Absolutely,” John said, then turned toward Jace. “What about you, kiddo? You wanna help, too?”

Jace smiled and quickly nodded.    

He gave them both handfuls of fish food and watched joyfully as they tossed the small pellets into the water like they were having the time of their lives. In fact, everyone wore delighted expressions on their faces, as they too, savored the boys’ excitement.

John’s gaze moved from the boys to where his wife stood next to him. Sarah was smiling, her eyes brimming with contentment as she took in the joyous moment. He slid his hand into hers and intertwined their fingers, then whispered, “I love you.”

Her smile broadened. “I love you, too,” she whispered back, squeezing his hand.

“Just think,” he said quietly, “we’ll have one or two, heck, maybe three of our own soon.”

Sarah nodded. “I know,” she said with a hint of melancholy in her tone.    

“What’s wrong, honey?”

“It’s just…” She paused, unable to speak for a moment as tears knotted her throat. She swallowed them back and faced him. “I think I’m starting to get attached.”

John withdrew Sarah’s hand and wrapped his arm around her. “I know, sweetheart.” He bent over and kissed her forehead. “I feel the same.”

When Sam approached the boys bearing two gift bags, John and Sarah were grateful for the sudden distraction.

“Wanna see what my partner and I picked up on our way over this morning?”

Jem and Jace nodded at Sam in anticipation.

“I think it’ll work perfect with those new ballcaps of yours,” Sam commented, handing each boy a bag with colorful balloons printed on the outside and blue tissue paper stuffed inside.

“Can we open them now?” Jem asked, his eyes excitedly going back and forth between the two officers.

Sam nodded and Terry said, “Go for it, kiddo.”

As soon as Jem and Jace plucked the tissue paper from their bags and saw what was inside, their eyes lit up with excitement.

“Oh wow!” Jem boasted as he quickly dug out the contents and revealed a toy gun and holster set.

Jace grinned ear-to-ear as he retrieved the exact gun and holster set as his brother’s.
         
“The toy pistols are designed just like the cowboys used in the wild west,” Terry pointed out. “And they each come with eight shot action ring caps.”

Jem looked toward John and Sarah. “Is it okay if we play with them?”

“Of course, sweetheart,” Sarah said. “But just for a little while. There’s something important John and I need to talk to you two about, okay?”

Jace nodded and Jem said, “’Kay.”

When the two officers helped the boys put on their gun holsters and showed them how to shoot the ring caps, they had a blast playing cops and robbers. A half hour later, everyone, including Jem and Jace, went inside and retired to the living room. John and Sarah seated the boys on a sofa, then scooted an ottoman over and sat together, facing them. For moral support, Sam sat next to Jace while Terry took the spot next to Jem. Mary eased into the wingback chair that was closest to the sofa.

Sarah cleared her throat, realizing this wasn’t going to be easy. “Boys,” she began softly, “there’s something important we need to tell you. It’s about your mommy.”

“Is she coming to pick us up?” Jem asked anxiously.

Sarah shook her head. “I’m sorry, sweetheart.”  

Jem’s expression grew confused. “Why not?”

“Do you remember what your mommy told you about heaven’s angels?”

Jace bobbed his head and his brother said, “They gave our daddy his special wings.”

Sarah nodded. “Yes, they did. And do you know why the angels gave your daddy his special wings?”

“So he could go live in heaven with Jesus,” Jem answered, wiggling his feet.

“That’s exactly right,” Sarah confirmed. “And in heaven, Jesus watches over everyone.”

“Mommy said Jesus watches over us, too.”

Sarah smiled. “Yes, he does, sweetheart.”

“Doctor Sarah,” Jem began, looking at her curiously, “why did Jesus want my daddy to live in heaven?”

“Well, that’s a good question,” Sarah said, trying to keep her emotions at bay. “I know it’s difficult to understand, but you see, only Jesus and God have the answers. But maybe Jesus needed your daddy for something very important.”

“Is God Jesus’s daddy?”

Jem’s question brought smiles to everyone in the room.

“Although Jesus was born to Joseph and Mary,” John chimed in, “God created us all, so Jesus is His Son, too.”

“Is God my daddy, too?”

John chuckled. “Yes, kiddo. Honestly, God is a Father to us all.”

“Even my mommy?”

John slightly dipped his head. “Her, too.”

Terry placed a hand over Jem’s shoulder. “And mine, too.”

Jem looked up at Terry smiling. Then his smile faded as he faced John and Sarah. “But what about the bad man?”

“Not all of God’s children grow up to be good,” John said, trying his best to explain. “Sometimes, for whatever reason, they turn out bad. That’s why we need people like Officers’ Terry and Sam. They arrest the bad people, so they can’t hurt anyone else.”

Jem turned toward the two officers. “Did you arrest the bad man that hurt Mommy and Uncle Jacks?”

“Not yet,” Sam regretfully said. “But we’re doing everything we can to catch him. When we do, we’ll put him in jail.”
        
“Don’t you worry, honey,” Mary interjected, leaning forward in her chair. “No one is going to harm you here. And I promise, those two fellas sitting next to you will make sure of that.”

“What about my mommy and Uncle Jacks?” Jem asked, looking away from Mary and focusing back on John and Sarah. “When they wake up and get out of the hospital, can they come stay here with us?”

“I’m sure when your Uncle Jacks gets better,” John said, “he’ll want you to go home with him.”

Out of nowhere, Jem and Jace turned toward one another. As they stared in silence, it was as if they were in some sort of trance, or rather somehow, they were communicating.

“Boys…” John said, raising his voice a little. “Is something wrong?”

When the boys finally broke eye contact and faced John and Sarah, it was evident by the expressions on their faces they sensed something bad.

“What about Mommy?” Jem asked, his bottom lip quivering. “Is she going to get better?”  
   
“I’m sorry, kiddo.” John emitted an anguished sigh. “She’s in heaven with Jesus now.”

The pained look on the boy’s faces broke every heart that occupied the room.

Jace bit his lip, desperate to hold back the sobs that welled in his throat.

“It’s okay, sweetheart,” Sarah said, reaching out to Jace. “It’s okay to cry.”

As Jace took hold of Sarah’s hand, his emotions took over and tears began to stream down his cheeks.

The moment Jem and Jace started to cry, Sarah, John, Terry, Sam, and Mary gathered around them. As they all embraced the boys in comforting arms, they wept tears of sorrow.


To be continued. . .

Author Notes
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I am rewriting my new book and would appreciate your feedback. If you see mistakes, please let me know. You can read previous chapters in my profile.

Artwork: Google/Facebook

     

© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement