FanStory.com - Preparing for Surgeryby Jesse James Doty
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An introspective look at getting ready for surgery
Preparing for Surgery by Jesse James Doty

Writing about preparing for surgery. Does this sound as boring to you as it does to me? I would imagine so! Why don't I write how I feel about it instead?

I am terrified!!! Scared beyond belief! I know I have done it many times, but it has been a long time in between surgeries! And I am frightened for my life!

The surgery is scheduled to last three hours and that is a long time to be under anesthesia! What happens if I wake up during the operation?
This may sound silly, but I am afraid the surgeon will tell jokes about me while he is operating on me. I certainly hope not!

I worry about my kitty, Sunny. Will she last the whole time I am away in San Francisco? She is in her senior years, and I am afraid she won't hang on until I get back. All the time I am away I will be singing Hang on Sunny!

Bringing my laptop will be essential. The last time away from home for an extended time after my neck surgery, my laptop was my lifeline to the outside world. Fan Story and my private email were my only outlets for communication and creativity.

But what about the dreams I had, you may ask yourself? Funny you should ask since I have plenty of dreams. Dreams of walking upright without the need for a wheelchair!

I already bought the latest trekking poles to hit the trailblazer in any of us. I have seen several people older than I am walking with pride as they trek along the pathway. One, in particular, is a friendly woman who regularly treks down the same pathway that David and I do. We greet and then I tell her I am going to walk again someday soon, and I will be using those trekking poles too just as you are.

Someday even after I need some assistance such as a walker or trekking poles I hope to walk in my bare feet in the sand at the nearest beach! And maybe go hiking in the nearby forest full of sequoia trees!
Who knows after that, the sky is the limit!

Back to the present reality where first I need to get to San Francisco for a complicated surgery on my left knee which lasts three hours or more. I will be brave and strong as I can be. Yet, I need all the support I can get in this brief month of August.

When I think of all my friends here on FS I am so happy to report I am doing well before the operation and working hard to recover afterward.

The most important thing to remember is to stay upbeat and positive!



Recognized

Author Notes
These are my musings on getting ready for surgery. My surgery is set for September 1st. Thank you, Pam, for reminding me.
Thanks for reading.

     

© Copyright 2024. Jesse James Doty All rights reserved.
Jesse James Doty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement