FanStory.com - The Chronicles of Bethicaby amahra
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gangus makes another plea for aid in defeating his foe.
The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise
: The Chronicles of Bethica by amahra

Background
Gangus's plea to Prince Norr falls on deaf ears. However, Dinary and Priest Hayman may have a plan that could change the prince's mind.

Chapter 17 (part 2)
The Conference


Every guest had arrived within hours of each other. After a day's rest--at midday, the guests were escorted to a building, called Yellow Stone, named for the stones cut from the mountain of the same name.

The interior of the building was rich and lavish. Inside the dining area, polished silver torch holders lined the walls. The flickering light meshed with the yellow surface making the room appear warm and inviting. A large ring of silver holders with small lit torches hung low from the ceiling.

Around the square room, colorful pillows were scattered along the baseboard, and busts of the Volarian Founding Fathers sat upon tall, marble stands in each corner. In the middle of the room was a round, dark wood table surrounded by pillowed high back chairs. On the table sat several large bowls with every kind of fruit and a silver goblet positioned at each place setting.

The round table was meant to be a humbling gesture; that is, the seating arrangements made it difficult for anyone to perceive his, or herself as being more important than another.

Seated were King Tugo of Engamar, Queen Antonia of Nekani, King Yawmin of Aenwyn, and Prince Norr, son of King Pyruss of Qu'Venar. Beside the prince sat the Domari Generals, Ndornah, and her sister Melitah. Facing them were Gangus, Brehira, Priest Hayman of Timbakni, General Dinary, his sons Rahshi, and Glinas. Seated also were Gangus's captains, including, Celio, Olatunji, Nahzi, Kofius, and Lygone.

Wine was served to settle the mood; Priest Hayman, of course, preferred his spiced tea. After the five-course meal and a few gulps of, to some, that new fruit of the vine, one of the guests stood, and lifted his goblet to Lady Abram; he toasted her for her excellent hospitality, fine food, and entertainment. All raised a goblet in Brehira's direction and drank. Brehira graciously nodded. She stood and toasted them for being such decorous guests.

After a few more formalities, Gangus stood and spoke, "Your Majesties, High Priest, My Lady," he said turning to Brehira, "Generals, and Captains of the Guards. It is well known that many months ago, my army suffered a devastating defeat at the hands of the Nordoxz and their allies, the Orcs and the Minotaurs. There are those who believe the Nordoxz is simply my problem. I hope to convince otherwise. I don't know much about these creatures except, they have been moving east rapidly--killing and pillaging regions in their path.

Every place their spotted feet trod, they take and dominate. They've defeated and taken over the lives and lands of many tribes, including the Orcs and the Minotaurs. We've suffered the loss of many brave men in previous battles, but our greatest was against the Nordoxz--over a thousand men and horses. The horses were slaughtered by beasts we could have never imagined. They call them Bohaus--horrible looking creatures summoned from the depths of Hades, no doubt."

As Gangus spoke, a servant quietly walked about filling goblets with wine. Brehira got his attention and waved him away.

"I am convinced," Gangus continued, "that these creatures intend to move in on my region; and they are not going to just stop with me, but your kingdom, and your kingdom, and yours, and yours," he said nodding towards each, "will be in grave danger. Priest Hayman, King Tugo, the Matron Diana of Domari have made their commitments official by their presence; and Queen Antonia, whom I had not the pleasure of meeting before this conference, has graciously offered to send as many as three thousand of her finest soldiers to aid us." Gangus turned to the queen. "I can't thank you enough, Your Majesty."

The queen, her chin held high, nodded at Gangus for the special mentioning of her generosity, then Gangus continued, "We are particularly excited to welcome King Yawmin and Prince Norr's presence as well. We..."

"Lord Abram, forgive me," Prince Norr interrupted, "but I hope you haven't forgotten. I am only here to lend my expertise in battle strategies...nothing more."

"But Prince Norr, as I have said," Gangus repeated. "Surely the Nordoxz will not stop with me...not with the rich mineral territories, including yours' that stretch hundreds of miles beyond Volarian borders. My land is only good for farming, yet, our border guards are constantly under attack."

"Perhaps the Nordoxz don't like humans," the prince said sarcastically--looking around for agreement. "None of us have had any problems with them."

Gangus felt his temperature rise--still, he kept his calm. "My good prince, would it not be wise to, at least, take precautions in case you are mistaken?"

"Precautions? Against what? You have provided no proof that my kingdom is in any danger. However, I do commend those here who have chosen to aid you. Though, I'm afraid my expert advice will be my only contribution to your...unfortunate dilemma."

Gangus's blood colored  his face. He wanted to say more, yet, felt it was useless. With eyes cast down, he slowly took his seat. Brehira angered at the prince's response, wanted to throw her goblet at him but kept her noble posture.

"Pathetic!" Ndornah snapped.

"What was that?" Prince Norr demanded, quickly turning his head towards Ndornah.

"It's just like the spoiled son of a king to accept a nobleman's hospitality then refuse him aid when he desperately needs it. What if it were you...you would want help...would you not?"

"But it is not me. And what would you know of war?" he asked. "You're not a queen for whom men would lay down their lives. Who are you to make such an accusation?"

She pointed to Melitah. "I and my sister Melitah are daughters of Grand Matron Diana--ruler of Domari, and top generals of her Dedroyles."

"Women generals?" he asked rhetorically. "Dedroyles? What is that? Ha! A kitchen? A nursery?" He smirked and looked about for agreement.

King Tugo and King Yawmin half-smiled, but Queen Antonia kept a serious face.

Ndornah shot to her feet as her sister angrily looked on. "Kitchen! Nursery! I'll have you know I can best any two of your toy soldiers anytime, anywhere, and leave them bleeding in the dirt."

"And all before they could pull their pitiful swords from their sheaths," Melitah added.

Prince Norr was livid but stood deaf to the words of Melitah. "TOYS!" he said, his voice cracking. "Did...did she just call Qu'Venar soldiers who brought down the wicked city of Dulorah...won the battle of Goshorr and slew giants... TOYS!"

"Hahaha," bellowed his arch-nemesis the Engamar King Tugo, "I believe she did."

"And what are you laughing at?" Prince Norr snapped. "You bloated Leprechaun!"

"Who are you calling a Leprechaun! You...with the ears of a rabbit and a brain to match!"

Within seconds, the room was immersed in loud insults foaming from the mouths of the two disputing royals with the Domari women yelling and fanning the flames of discord.

"Your Majesties, Generals, Please!" Gangus pleaded. "It is the Nordoxz I need you to fight, not each other!"

"Well, I didn't start it," Prince Norr snapped.

"Calm yourselves, my good people," Gangus urged.

The shouting stopped and the room buzzed with indignation.

Still heated, King Tugo got a sudden attack of a phony cough.

"Are you not well, King Tugo?" Dinary asked.

King Tugo faked a graveled voice. "It...it must be this low-level air," he said, alluding to the fact Engamars dwell in mountains. "It dries me throat so."

Brehira, wise to the king's fraudulent antics, smiled and clapped her hands in two quick secessions. A servant bounced to her side. "More wine for our guests," she ordered. The servant bowed and left swiftly.

The queen, who wasn't used to wine, grinned widely and found the whole boisterous exchange quite amusing.

The servants kept filling the goblets with wine while pouring Priest Hayman spiced tea. After noticing how rowdy the royals were behaving, Hayman bid everyone goodnight and was escorted to his chambers. Brehira, seeing that the queen and the Domari generals were a bit overcome as well, escorted the women to their chambers.

After a few more rounds of drinks, Nahzi rested his head on the table and fell asleep. Dinary, in shock, watched mortal enemies, King Tugo and Prince Norr stagger off arm and arm singing funny pirate songs with filled goblets in hand. King Yawmin shook his head at them and left the table.

"Good goddess," Dinary said. "How do we stop the king and prince from waking up beside each other cold sober and slashing one another to pieces?"

"Well...for one," Gangus said, "I have their swords..."

"And two?" Dinary asked.

"We're not letting them out of our sight."

Gangus and Dinary chuckled while separating the two. Dinary took Prince Norr--Gangus took King Tugo and marched them off to their individual quarters. Volarian Guards were placed midway the hall between their chambers.

The following morning, only Priest Hayman joined Gangus and Brehira at breakfast. The other guests slept until midday. King Tugo and Prince Norr remembered nothing about the night before, and no one dared to tell them. Glancing over at them during dinner, however, made it hard for Brehira and Gangus to keep a straight face.

After dining, the guests were presented with an encore of entertainment. Gangus had hoped last night's friendliness was not just the result of the wine. But he was wrong. After several more days of food, wine, and entertainment, nothing had changed. The Qu'Venars still refused to commit soldiers to the cause; on the last day of the conference, they and the Aenwyns left early that morning for their homeland. Queen Antonia, King Tugo, and the Domari generals left a few hours later. Priest Hayman, urged by Brehira, stayed an extra day.

*****
Standing by the cold fireplace in the family room, Gangus shook his head in disgust. "Well, we've had a great trading relationship with the Qu'Venars, but unfortunately, no friendship. Without that," Gangus said, "I honestly don't know what to do. I thought when Prince Norr saw that the others had committed, it would encourage him to do the same."

"I sense the young Prince is different from his father," Dinary said. "Friendship means little to him. I think he's holding out for something."

"What?" Gangus asked.

"I think he wants something," Dinary said.

"You keep saying something...something what?" Gangus asked.

"He knows how desperate we are," Brehira said. "And I sense he wants to be further courted."

"Exactly, Mother. Father, I believe the prince will commit if we know what he wants."

"And how do you propose we learn that?" Gangus asked.

"By going there, naturally--spending time with him. He may feel more at ease dealing with someone his age."

"You think?" Gangus asked.

"It's worth a try."

Brehira panicked. "No, son! The Qu'Venars are extremely private and keep it so behind a deadly fortress."

"Your mother is right," Gangus said. "They loath uninvited guests. And only a limited number is ever asked."

"Father, you're talking to a warrior--one you trained yourself."

Priest Hayman looked at Dinary with great admiration. Before Gangus could answer his son, Hayman spoke, "I know of your bravery and great battle skills," young Dinary, "but not even you can stand against the weakest of their spell-casters, or survive their mystical forest. I have learned much about the Qu'Venars, even more so having spent time with them at the conference. There are things in their region a sword cannot defeat."

Brehira's insides shuddered at Hayman's words.

"That forest reeks of a powerful enchantment," Hayman continued, "Any uninvited guest will be lost, rendered mad, or worst. But if you insist on going," the priest said with a great sigh, "I've been invited by his father. He and I go back many years. Seeing me always puts the King in a good place. Perhaps you can accompany me."

"Really?"

"If you wish. You'll need the king's influence if there's hope of changing the young prince's mind. After all, sick or no, Pyruss is still king."

"No!" Brehira blurted. She turned to Gangus. "Tell him it's too dangerous. Tell him."

Dinary looked to Gangus for a favorable response. "Father?"

Brehira's eyes searched Gangus's pleadingly.

Gangus sensed her fear, but he saw only a mother's eyes staring back at him--void understandably, of what was best for their people.

He turned to Priest Hayman and thanked him; he then looked at Dinary and spoke with authority. "Take as many men as you will need. Don't make decisions on your own. And obey Priest Hayman's every instruction."

"Yes, Father. I will go and make the necessary arrangements." Dinary started for the door but saw a shade of gloom upon his mother's face. He walked to her, bent, and kissed her cheek. "Don't worry, Mother. I'll be fine. I promise." He winked and she forced a smile. Dinary turned and hurried from the room.



End of Chapter 17



Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay

Main Characters
Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree here rah) His wife
Dinary (Deh nah ry) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife
Olatunji (O Lah Tune Gee) Nigerian Soldier
Gangus's Staff Command Tierphenjinochun (Teer fen gin o tion)

Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master
The Drake (like it's spelled) The menacing dragon

The gods
Raziel (Ray-zeal) God of gods
Dahlia (Doll-lee'ah) Goddess of Domaria--a kingdom ruled by women
Gailzur (Gale-zore) God of War
Nelchael (Nell-key-ol) God of the Underworld
Zakzakiel (Zak zah keel) God of Peace
Osun (O Shun) Nigerian Goddess

The Races
Volarians (Vo lar rians) (Humans) 'Gangus's tribe'
Engamars (In ga mars) (Humanoids) aka, Red Beards 'Hate Aenwyns and Qu'Venars'
Aenwyns (An winds) (Humanoids) 'Adore Qu'Venars, hate Engamars'
Qu'Venars (Q' Vin nahs) (Humanoids) 'Adore Aenwyns can't tolerate the stubborn Engamars'
Nordoxz (Nor-docks) (Humanoid) 'Have multi-colored leathery skin like that of a serpent.'
Faerie (Far ree) (Another world) Origin of the Aenwyns'
Domarians (Doe mah rians) ( Humans) A kingdom ruled by women'
Nekani (Keh cah knee) (Humanoids) Felion Race


 

Author Notes
When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.

     

© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement