FanStory.com - Death Leapby GeraldShuler
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Some things simply must be done... even if it means death.
Death Leap by GeraldShuler
    Surprise Me Contest Winner 

Charlie looked intently at the dark, turbulent waters below him. He knew it was the Grim Reaper of Death that stirred those waves... possibly his own death. He also knew there was no other way of escape. Come on, Charlie, he thought, You can do this. He looked behind him at the desperate followers that were ready to make the same leap... if he showed them a chance of survival. You MUST do this!

"You can do it, Charlie." The voice was meant to be encouraging but Charlie's heart was still racing and all he wanted to do was turn around and tell everyone not to jump. But he knew that wasn't possible. The jump was the only way. He looked at the waters again. It was general knowledge that there were no sharks in this area, but...

"There must be some better way..." Charlie sighed, just low enough so nobody could hear the fear in his whisper. He felt like Jesus in the garden telling His Father that he wanted this cup to pass from him. Jesus faced what He had to do. Now it was time for Charlie to follow Christ's example. The cold call of the deep left him chilled to his very soul. There simply was no other way.

Charlie closed his eyes. He took a step forward and felt the wind pressing his face as he began his descent to the deadly waters below. It took a fearful eternity before he felt the chill of the waters encompass his body. But there was something else that he felt... arms wrapped around him, holding him and keeping him above the raging waves. His father's arms...

"See, Charlie?" Dad said. "Jumping into the swimming pool is fun! I told you I would catch you."


Writing Prompt
This is a flash fiction contest. Write a story that has a surprise ending. Since it is flash, the word count must be between 200 and 600 words. The ending can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. But the reader has to be surprised.
Surprise Me
Contest Winner

     

© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement