FanStory.com - Football Chapter 34 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Melton Ivory approaches Katherine at the coffee shop.
Football - A Novel
: Football Chapter 34 part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?

Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 42 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Going from car keys to running is more than a little change. But to answer your question, no. I need to run. It helps me handle stress, plus I'm finally making progress on those extra ten pounds from Jeremy."

Lightly squeezing her arm, he teased, "Where are those extra pounds?" As she laughed, he continued with her other arm. "Nope, not here either." He placed his hand on her flat stomach and removed it. "Sorry." He stood. "It's time for me to leave."

She stood beside him and placed her hands on her rear-end. "It's right here."

He leaned over, looked, and then grinned. "Doesn't look like it's there either." He glanced at the door. "I really do need to leave."

"I know."

As they stood at the door, Gabriel put his arms around her. "Good night." He leaned over and kissed her.

After the kiss, Katherine opened her eyes and sighed.

Gabriel asked, "Something wrong?"

"No everything's perfect. I could get used to this."

He kissed her again. "So could I. Good night." He walked out the door.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 34 part 1

Friday morning, Gabriel watched as Katherine walked toward the house after their early morning run. "Just letting you know those extra ten pounds are definitely not back there."

She faced him. "You're incorrigible."

His eyes sparkled. "I know. In case we don't meet up at school, be sure to text and let me know you made it to the game safely."

Standing at her door, she said, "Will do and good luck."

*****
At the coffee shop, Katherine turned with the three coffees and Gabriel's breakfast. She stood face-to-face with Melton and said, "Hello," and then attempted to walk around him.

He moved in front of her. "I don't know why you called the gestapo. I'd never hurt you."

"I didn't call anybody." Again, she attempted to step around him. "Excuse me, but I need to leave."

He took her arm.

"I've told you don't touch me."

After a few moments of silence, he removed his hand and he said, "Is that Neanderthal your boyfriend? You can do so much better." He hesitated. "I just want to talk to you."

"Gabriel's far from a Neanderthal."

Gabriel walked through the door. "Kate, you don't need to defend me. Please wait in the car." He turned toward Nancy. "Thank you." Facing Melton, he said, "There are other coffee shops in town. If you continue using this one, you'd better make sure it's after," he checked his watch, "eight o'clock. I'll be called every time you harass Mrs. Riley and the next time I won't be in such a good mood. Do you understand?"

"Sir, you can't tell me what I can and can't do. This is a free country and I have rights."

"Yep, you're a lawyer all right." Gabriel started to leave but stopped and turned. "Katherine has rights too. The way I see it, you're stalking her and if it continues she'll file a complaint. How would that look on your resume?"

As Gabriel proceeded toward the door, other customers commented, "Coach, we'll make sure Katherine's safe."

Gabriel nodded. "Thank you." He walked up to Katherine's SUV and opened the driver's door. "I'm curious what you were going to say after he's not a Neanderthal. He's a football player? To him that would've been the same." He pecked her cheek. "I know I pushed my way in again and I will the next time too."

"I was going to say thank you."

He winked. "You're welcome. I'll catch up with you later."

*****
After the football players were released from fifth period class, Jordan waited outside Gabriel's office.

Gabriel nodded toward him. "Riley, come in. You want to talk? Is it about football or personal?"

"Personal, Coach."

Closing the door, Gabriel motioned toward a chair. "Have a seat, Jordan. What's up?"

"I wanted to thank you for helping Mom at the coffee shop."

"You heard about that?"

"I think the entire school knows about it." Jordan grinned. "And the kiss you gave her in the parking lot."

Rubbing his chin, Gabriel said, "Sorry about that."

"I'm sure it's not the first time you've kissed." Jordan hesitated. "I'm old enough to realize Mom's a looker." He chuckled. "Most of the football team say they're signing up for her class next year."

Shaking his head, Gabriel grinned. "Thanks for the heads up. Most of my team will be ineligible. If I ask, think Mr. Edwards will let her teach the beginning math courses?"

"That's between you and the principal." Jordan stood. "I'd better get packed. Thank you for the talk."

Gabriel tapped his shoulder. "Any time. You're always welcome."

After Jordan left, Bill and Paul walked in, as Bill asked, "What did Riley want?"

"I guess the entire school knows about the incident at the coffee shop this morning."

Bill teased, "Yep, and the parking lot kiss."

"I gave her a small kiss on the cheek."

Paul chuckled. "That's not what I heard."

Frowning, Gabriel growled, "That's exactly what it was. Did you two come in for a reason or just to aggravate me?"

Glancing toward the bus area, Bill reported, "I came to let you know the buses are here."

Pointing toward his office, Paul stated, "I wanted to remind you that I'd appreciate not having to deal with UIL representatives all week. I know this'll be your toughest game so far but try not to do anything too outlandish. Deal?"

Grinning, Gabriel stood. "I'll try, but won't make any promises." He started to walk out, but turned. "Will there be any issues with the peck I gave Kate?"

"Shouldn't be, but try not to make a habit of it."

"Good." He called through the locker room door, "Load up!"


~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. I'm continuing with rehab. My wrist is starting to bend down a little, but so far not much luck with it bending up. I don't go back to the doctor until January 4th.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

Melton Ivory Lawyer and possible new suitor for Katherine

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google images for sharing a photo of a peck on the cheek. I made quite a few changes in this post yesterday and then lost the entire manuscript. I had to reset my computer back to Friday. I hope I caught all the changes. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. This novel is far from over. I have approximately 27 more posts. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This is truly the calm before the storm. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little under 800 words. Thank you for having patience.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement