FanStory.com - Bogey IIby Allezw2
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An interstellar review gains an exemplar.
Bogey II by Allezw2
War writing prompt entry

Bogey II

USS Kingston DE 7
1829 hours EDST 2329 UTC
202.0 Hours into deployment

For the first time Lewis felt beyond his depth. This bogey was obviously a force technologically advanced beyond their ken.

The sudden movement of the bogey after their scanning probes were nulled raised additional concerns. It emitted no signs of any propulsion known yet skimmed past the American defense line without any effort as the US systems selectively lost all weapons capability as it passed.

With the demonstrable superiority in maneuver and benign defensive capability, Lewis was left with A.C. Clarke's comment, "... any technology sufficiently advanced is akin to magic."

"Now what, captain?"

"Well, they apparently don't want to talk to us, and we can't talk to them. Maybe a pow wow?"

"You're, kidding?"

"Not a bit. Stand down all defensive measures, unload and secure weapons. Return personal weapons to the armory.

"Men, this is the captain. We are going to initiate communication with the bogey.

"Division heads report to the captain's underway cabin."

220.3 Hours into deployment.

"Captain, Nav: This is where we lost the scanners."

"Bridge, heave to. Let's see if they will accept a peace pipe."

"Com, broad band, all frequencies. State we are requesting a meeting with a representative of their ship."

"Aye, captain. Executing now."

0127 hours UTC. Deployment 223.5 Hours.

"Helm begin slow approach."

"Com, any signal?"

"Negative, sir.

The cautious approach continued as the enormous vessel loomed large as their horizon was filled by it.

240.l5 Hours into deployment.

"Helm, heave to. Nav, what is the range to the bogey?"

"A little over three klicks, captain."

Only Lewis heard the message. "Captain, We mean you no harm. Alert your crew that you will be absent for a short period."

"XO, I'm being invited aboard."

"Captain, ...," his words lost as Lewis disappeared.

The 1JV3 came alive. "Lieutenant Commander Dobbins. Your captain is our guest. Your ship's propulsion and communication systems are temporarily disabled. No harm will come to anyone."

The two tall and unusually thin individuals stood and acknowledged Lewis' presence.

In a soft voice, the one on the left gestured. "Please be seated, Captain Lewis," indicating a chair matching their uniquely styled furniture as the two waited for him to be seated. A low table separated them. "I am Sverdlov, in your convention. My partner is Gyugen.

"Please listen," as Lewis tried to form a question.

"We are surveyors here to determine whether or not your system must be quarantined to avoid spreading contagion. You will also be personally evaluated. There will be no physical or mental trauma."

"Why ...?"

He seemed to dream; remembering moments of childhood delight and amazingly serene moments of the terrors in his training and the adult years in military service. There were the uncomfortable scenes he had forced into locked compartments of his mind.

260.1 hours into deployment.

"Captain, They told us you were returned. This is where I found you."

"It's okay, XO," Looking around his quarters. We can go home now."

"Captain, Bridge."

"Dobbins, aye."

"The bogey is gone and all systems are normal and online. ComSpace is stacking up reams of messages trying to contact us. What should I say?"

"Acknowledge receipt only. Initiate return to base."

"Return to base, aye, captain."

Lewis grinned. "Get used to that title, Glenn!"

"No sir!"

"Sure you will. Everything is apparently still intact. Kingston'll likely be yours after we make it back."

"Take us home, Glenn.


Writing Prompt
Write a story where a character is in war or is about to be in war. Fiction or non-fiction.

Author Notes
Who knows what's out there.

     

© Copyright 2024. Allezw2 All rights reserved.
Allezw2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement