FanStory.com - How Can It Be?by Rdfrdmom2
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The career continues
Ruminations from a Winding Career
: How Can It Be? by Rdfrdmom2
Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Background
A book about my career which is just entering its 50th year.

When I report for a testing in-service tomorrow morning, it will officially mark the beginning of my 50th year in education: 33 years full-time and 17 part-time.  As I ponder that, I wonder how it can be true. Sure, I remember casually commenting early in my first year of teaching that I wanted to teach for 50 years but I was delusional at the time.
 
I just renewed my teaching certificate for 10 years, the minimum a teacher can renew for in the Commonwealth of Virginia effective this year. I suspect it will be my last renewal as I will be almost 80 when this certificate expires on June 30, 2031. Even so, I will work to collect the minimum of 270 renewal points just in case I am around to renew it.
 
I am doing the work I began doing in the fall of 1972 – I am teaching students mathematics. There is a sense of coming full circle that is extremely satisfying as I help students taking Algebra 1 learn the skills they need to pass the Standards of Learning Test. The best thing I do in this process is convincing them I believe in them so they should believe in themselves.
 
I will meet my students on Monday, July 19th at 7:30 a.m. I am as excited as I was that August day in 1972 when I met my very first students. Why? It is simple, really. Teaching is a work of heart!
 
 

Recognized

Author Notes
Reflections from a long career with many twists and turns. A special thanks to VMarguarite for the use of Test Time to enhance this work.

     

© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement