FanStory.com - The ''Weighting'' Gameby Elizabeth Emerald
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Play at your peril: best to take a pass
The ''Weighting'' Game by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com



On Sunday, Chuck and I went to a cook-out (eat-in @ 92*F) at the home of my erstwhile racing partner, Emily.

Emily is racing faster than ever, having made a stunning comeback from a car-on-bike-crash, which fractured her hip (on top of collarbone, shoulder blade, and a rib or two). I was the one who ended our "partnership," such as it was. We car-pooled to race sites but once there she and I traveled solo: think: tortoise and hare (not necessarily in that order).

Chuck was appalled to see Emily had withered from scrawny to stick-figured. Using his thumb and index fingers as pincers, Chuck probed Emily's upper left twig and inquired as to the reason for her weight loss.

As it happened, Emily was not offended by Chuck's query; indeed, she's pleased at having dropped weight. (Backstory: borderline eating disorder.)

The same cannot be said for Joe, one of the guests, another racing compatriot, who has recently suffered a dramatic weight loss.

I say "suffered" given that Joe's weight loss was consequential to his being rendered unable to eat solid food for two months.

Which was consequential to having his insides burnt from chemotherapy to treat his pancreatic cancer.

Of which he informed Emily and me discreetly; he said he hadn't told anyone.

As I listened (whilst pondering how to prevent Chuck from querying Joe about his weight), Emily asked, loud and clear:

How long do they think you'll survive?

Recognized

Author Notes
Helza Blaze by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement