FanStory.com - Words Hurt by Earl Corp
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A story of the 60s
Words Hurt by Earl Corp
    Flash From the Past Contest Winner 

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
When my Mom and I walked downtown I saw long-haired guys standing outside the recruiters office with signs and yelling, “Hell no, we won’t go.”

“Mom, who are those guys?”

“They’re hippies, Son.”

“Are they saying they won’t go to Hell?”

“No, they’re saying they won’t go to Vietnam.”

“Why not? We’re fighting there, right?”

“They don’t feel it’s a just war and anybody serving there is a baby killer.”

We arrived at the cemetery and took our seats. An honor guard fired 21 shots and the officer gave mom a folded up flag.

“Mom, was dad a baby killer?”

 


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story between 98 and 102 words. The catch is that the setting must be a decade that is very distinguishable through the story. for example, if you were to write about our current decade, 2020 to 2030, you might mention the current events, technology, fashion, movies, etc. that are prevalent right now. you may not write about our current decade. :-)

Have fun, and good luck!
Flash From the Past
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
I just attended a Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans ceremony. Even 50 years after the fact the veterans still remember being called baby killers by people their own age. It's my prayer that today's veterans never have to live through that.

     

© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement