FanStory.com - The man who walked with Godby T B Botts
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Enoch walked with God and was taken alive into heaven
The man who walked with God by T B Botts
Biblical Character contest entry

There isn't a lot said in the bible about Enoch. We know that he wasn't too far removed from Adam, the first man God created; I believe only five or six generations. We don't know if Enoch was a farmer or if he raised sheep or built homes. The bible just doesn't say.

I believe it is probably safe to say that the environment in Enoch's time was much cleaner. There would have been no pollution in the rivers or air, with the possible exception of any erupting volcanoes in the area. I suspect that plants made up a large percentage of his diet, as it would for most people in that era. The conditions were right for long life- good food and water, no processed sugar and little fat. Lots of exercise. No doubt lots of exercise.

His great grandfather Kenan lived 910 years. His grandfather, Mahalalel lived a respectable 895 years and his dad, Jared, fathered Enoch at the age of 162. I don't know how or why he waited that long, but he must have been pretty healthy and possibly good looking to be having his first child at that age. He lived another 800 years after Enoch was born and had other sons and daughters. Wow.

Enoch was 65 years old when his first born son, Methuselah came on the scene. The word says that Enoch walked faithfully with God for three hundred years and had other sons and daughters. Does that mean that prior to the birth of his first son he wasn't walking faithfully with God? I don't know. I have to take the bible at its word. One thing is certain. For at least 300 years, Enoch was walking with God faithfully and he must have pleased the Lord, because the bible says, Enoch walked with God and then was no more, because God took him away. Let me repeat that statement. Enoch walked with God and then was no more, because God took him away.

What kind of man must he have been to have the God of all the universe take him away? He had to have had troubles, just like all of us. I'm sure there was a daily search for food, either out gathering what grew wild, or having to cultivate it in a garden. Shelter would be an issue. Depending on where he was living he had to make building materials out of something; wood or clay or adobe. He probably had days when he woke up with a headache or didn't feel like going out to the fields. He was as human as any of us. Surely, at the end of the day, as he stared out at the stars in front of a fire, he must have communed with God. The conversations they had must have been amazing. What did he do that God didn't wait for eight or nine hundred years to bring him to heaven? How could he have pleased God that much? He walked with God faithfully. What does that mean? I don't know. I do know that I'm no Enoch.

To the best of my knowledge, only two living people were taken to heaven while they were alive. Enoch, and Elijah, who was taken up in a chariot of fire while his assistant Elisha watched. Moses, David, Daniel, all the patriarchs died, as did Jesus. Why did Enoch avoid death? I don't pretend to have the answers, I have only questions. However, I suspect that one day God will reveal His reasoning. Until then I will ponder and I suppose applaud Enoch for living a life pleasing enough to God to overcome the grave. I hope some day we will speak face to face.




Author Notes
Enoch walked with God and was not, because God took him. That statement thrills me.

     

© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement