FanStory.com - Alternative to Statue Smashingby Elizabeth Emerald
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Let them stand as testament to shame
Alternative to Statue Smashing by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

My friend Scott is the town historian. He's painstakingly compiled a plethora of documents and memorabilia, dating back to the mid-1800's.

Scott built a not-so-miniature museum on his property, in the form of a replica of a historical house, in which lived one of the founding families, name of Lynde. 

Last month, Scott came upon a book that documented the history of slavery in our town. The book featured a will made by the patriarch of the eminent Lynde family, an excerpt of which reads I bequeath my negro man and my mulatto girl to my wife to do with as she will.

This afternoon, Scott showed me a brass plaque he'd had engraved, which reads: "Slavery in Melrose: Never Again!"

Tomorrow, Scott will affix the plaque to his little Lynde house, after which, he will return to the engraver to obtain a supplementary plaque. It will list the names of each of the slaves mentioned in the book.

Underneath which will be engraved: A nameless "negro man" and "mulatto girl" ...

... and numerous such others.

Recognized

Author Notes
Enslaved by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement